T Prices vs Jumper Prices

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I have recently taken a new interest in arachnids again a d I've got to say, the prices have me surprised. For $40 I can get a nice A genic that will (hopefully) live for many years.

For the same $40 I can get a cute P audax that will live 2 years? That makes no sense to me. Is it cause the Jumpers are "in" right now?

I should track down this little fella I caught from my backyard and sell it for profit! Just kidding of course.

Has anyone whose been in the T/ arachnid world a long time seen the prices go ever higher?

Screenshot_20230527-192219_Snapchat.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
We’re are you finding a genic that price ? I’ve seen mostly 45-50+ for tiny ones and $40-49 more in shipping. My local petstore had one for $115 I think . I could go back and see if it’s still there haha $50 for pink toes there .
Can’t afford that . :rofl: If it was $40 I’d probably go for it .
I don’t even bother catching jumpers , as cool as they are I rarely see them . Have only ever kept wc ones ages ago as a kid . 2 years is still long for a spider that small.
Scorpion are cool too, do they do well room temperature? They live longer then jumpers but shorter then Ts?

Last edited:

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I see $40 ones online. But yes, that's not including shipping. Which is another $40 at least....
That is the price for small ones like you said, but that's what I prefer. I was looking for any genics at my expo when they were in town and much to my surprise, no vendor had any!
Then my friend got a jumper for around the cost of certain Ts and it got me thinking, if I had $40 to spend on a pet, why would I spend it on something that has a much shorter lifespan?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, jumpers are popular right now, so their prices are rising steadily. For many people, jumping spiders are cute and engaging, and they don't carry the same "creepy spider" stigma that many other types (including tarantulas) do, so you'll see lots of them being sold to people that wouldn't normally have an arachnid as a pet. This only makes them more marketable. Jumping spiders are abundant where I am, so I can't justify spending that kind of money on one, but I can certainly understand the appeal - they're active, excellent hunters, don't require much space or other housing considerations, and generally can be handled. If you're curious about how popular they've become, just search on Google for "jumping spider cage accessories" and look at the thousands of results that come back...

cold blood

Staff member
I see $40 ones online. But yes, that's not including shipping. Which is another $40 at least..
unless its winter, your high costs are because you want to spend...opt for 2 or 3 day shipping and save a ton.

And with many species, the sings cost way less than 40

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Jumpers are amazing to keep but can be hard to keep alive once hatched from a sac. Selling small or baby jumpers can be quite difficult since they require FFF until they're large enough for other prey items. A lot of the adults are WC as of now, but with demand I'm sure more CB will be available in the future.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea

Jumpers are amazing to keep but can be hard to keep alive once hatched from a sac. Selling small or baby jumpers can be quite difficult since they require FFF until they're large enough for other prey items. A lot of the adults are WC as of now, but with demand I'm sure more CB will be available in the future.
hard to keep due to feeding tiny prey or?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I have recently taken a new interest in arachnids again a d I've got to say, the prices have me surprised. For $40 I can get a nice A genic that will (hopefully) live for many years.

For the same $40 I can get a cute P audax that will live 2 years? That makes no sense to me. Is it cause the Jumpers are "in" right now?

I should track down this little fella I caught from my backyard and sell it for profit! Just kidding of course.

Has anyone whose been in the T/ arachnid world a long time seen the prices go ever higher?

View attachment 446389
I support captive bred first but understand that life spans of jumpers are 1 to 2 years. Above average would be over 2 years.

I caught a P. audax back in January as it was on top of my car. We had a short warmup before it went back to really cold. I kept it and it turned out to be male.

I paid $0.00

I wasn't deliberately out looking for them, it just happened.

Veno Manus

Arachnobaron
I have 2 jumpers male and female Regals and they are extremely easy to care for. The female just had an egg sack and it hatched out. We've been communal setuping them so far for almost a month I'd say and they are all doing quite well. We bought the adults for $60 for the pair. The female is onto her second egg sack now and it could pop any day. But I feel these arachnids have boosted in popularity as of the last year.

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I support captive bred first but understand that life spans of jumpers are 1 to 2 years. Above average would be over 2 years.

I caught a P. audax back in January as it was on top of my car. We had a short warmup before it went back to really cold. I kept it and it turned out to be male.

I paid $0.00

I wasn't deliberately out looking for them, it just happened.
I do love the look of the P audax! How long did yours live for?

I have 2 jumpers male and female Regals and they are extremely easy to care for. The female just had an egg sack and it hatched out. We've been communal setuping them so far for almost a month I'd say and they are all doing quite well. We bought the adults for $60 for the pair. The female is onto her second egg sack now and it could pop any day. But I feel these arachnids have boosted in popularity as of the last year.
Oh wow! Do you plan on letting the hatchlings dwindle their own numbers down or cup them all?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Jumpers so popular it’s a wonder huntsman or anything like that isn’t that popular ? A spider closer to t size . I’ve heard of people keeping trap door and funnel webs but I’ve never had one.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
unless its winter, your high costs are because you want to spend...opt for 2 or 3 day shipping and save a ton.

And with many species, the sings cost way less than 40
Indeed. I had lots of genics and I sold a 4+ inch one for 45 usd. Slings are like 15 or 17 USD.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Jumpers are pricey right now because they are presently the "it girl' of the hobby. Yes you can get an addax for $40 and it will most likely die in 1-2 years. making it $20 $40 a year investment.
An A. geniculata Male 4 years or $10 a year. Female 20 years s0 $2 dollars a year.
I love Jumpers but watching a geniculata feed is a beautiful thing

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Indeed. I had lots of genics and I sold a 4+ inch one for 45 usd. Slings are like 15 or 17 USD.
We’re are they that price ? I only saw them on a few site were $45+ each for under 1” size some were 1/4”. Then again I really don’t heve much of a clue we’re to look haven’t got anything in like 5 years or so I think .

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
We’re are they that price ? I only saw them on a few site were $45+ each for under 1” size some were 1/4”. Then again I really don’t heve much of a clue we’re to look haven’t got anything in like 5 years or so I think .
45 USD for a A geniculata sling (under 1 inch) is unthinkable lol. Again I sold a 4+ inch genic (unsexed) for 45 bucks. Everyone here in Canada sells them for 15 to 20 bucks under 1 inch. They're even cheaper in the US to my knowledge.

A geniculata produce tons of babies and they grow quick so there's really no reason for them to be so pricey.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Mine is still going strong.

I have to go and pickup some more crickets for him tomorrow.

My E. posticus roaches are way to big for it.
What do you heat them with ? Not sure how long til I need a bigger mat just started out with like 30-50 of them , ordered 100 but I guess that they couldn’t count haha . Why do some seem bigger before there adults ? A4638CA9-477B-47F0-8D90-F8D4526C20F5.jpeg 31D56BA1-17E1-4685-9326-19E598644178.jpeg

Last edited: