T only eating at night

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

I've had my first T a juvi B. smithi for a good few months now and it is finally eating about once every week or two so not in pre moult as I originally suspected. However it seems to only take food at night, now I know that tarantulas are nocturnal so its probably normal behaviour but I have watched literally hundreds of feeding videos over the last few years to learn as much about them as possible and have never seen anyone else have problems with T's snapping up food during the day. It's not an issue because I just put the cricket in before I go to bed and its gone by the morning, just curious if anyone has seen similar behaviour.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Some of my spiders with poorer feeding responses take their food at night too. Youre probably disturbing it somehow before feeding.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If your T room where you feed it is very bright, that could stress it and make it less inclined to eat in front of you. In my bedroom, I keep it about as dark as I can at night. Most come out, even in the evening. Given, I own SA birdeaters and OW monsters, but figure the concept is the same ;) I'd just jeep it darker, and if you want to see it eat use a red light that doesn't bother them. May see it then :D

Edit: Forgot the quote, lol. This is to the OP :D

Last edited:

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Some of my spiders with poorer feeding responses take their food at night too. Youre probably disturbing it somehow before feeding.
Yeah I know B.smithi don't have the best feeding response. the lid for the enclosure does click a little when you take it off which can sometimes cause it to move a little. I have seen a lot of adult B. smith take down food no bother but I suppose its always down to the individual spider

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
If your T room where you feed it is very bright, that could stress it and make it less inclined to eat in front of you. In my bedroom, I keep it about as dark as I can at night. Most come out, even in the evening. Given, I own SA birdeaters and OW monsters, but figure the concept is the same ;) I'd just jeep it darker, and if you want to see it eat use a red light that doesn't bother them. May see it then :D
Yeah my room is quite bright and can also be quite noisy sometimes as well. also I am thinking about investing in a small red torch so I can check on it without disturbing it and hopefully see it feeding. I would keep it somewhere a little more quiet if possible but unfortunately I still live with my parents so I don't really have much choice :(

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys,

I've had my first T a juvi B. smithi for a good few months now and it is finally eating about once every week or two so not in pre moult as I originally suspected. However it seems to only take food at night, now I know that tarantulas are nocturnal so its probably normal behaviour but I have watched literally hundreds of feeding videos over the last few years to learn as much about them as possible and have never seen anyone else have problems with T's snapping up food during the day. It's not an issue because I just put the cricket in before I go to bed and its gone by the morning, just curious if anyone has seen similar behaviour.
Sweet Jesus! You need to be more careful! Whatever you do, under no circumstances, should you ever feed a tarantula after midnight. And don't get them wet either.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
My room is very right during feeding. All my T's eat fine.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Sweet Jesus! You need to be more careful! Whatever you do, under no circumstances, should you ever feed a tarantula after midnight. And don't get them wet either.
That's only a problem... When you name them Gizmo

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
*reads topic title*

Midnight snacks are the best!

Seriously though, I havent had any trouble feeding the Ts during the day.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Some of my Ts eat during the day but I usually just feed them in the late evening and leave it overnight. They are way more active at night and they will eat the food left in their enclosure if they are hungry.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I know B.smithi don't have the best feeding response
I thought that B. smithi have among the best feeding responses of all Brachys. My juvenile turns into a true monster when food enters the enclosure. She has even a better feeding response than my LP! She is currently on a diet because she is a bit obese.

But individual characters vary, perhaps yours is naturally shy. Some tarantulas need to calm down a little after the smallest disturbance (like the 'click' of an opening enclosure). I usually open the terrarium of such individuals prior to selecting the prey items. Usually they are then calm enough to eat.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hey guys,

I don't think that day/night is the issue. I have some Ts that get spooked as soon as I open their lids and they rarely eat in front of me. Sometimes they need to settle down before they think of tackling prey, then there are other individuals that pounce as soon as anything hits the ground. I'd say you just have a skittish B.smithi, I'm sure if you dropped food in there during the day and returned a few hours later it will be feasting.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My B. smithi would eat more if it didn't spend so much time on the walls like an Avic. :meh:

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
My office, where my Ts live, is very quiet and not very bright. they will often eat during the day, but not always.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've never even fed my Ts in the daytime. So, mine pretty much always dine at night since that's the only time I ever offer feeders.
I did feed rosie a huge discoid roach once (which took her 24 hours to consume) -- so that is the exception to the rule for daytime dining here.
My Ts don't seem to require light (or vision) to chow down.
Hmmm. I suppose I do have a light on so I can see to feed them -- but then it's lights out here.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah I know B.smithi don't have the best feeding response. the lid for the enclosure does click a little when you take it off which can sometimes cause it to move a little. I have seen a lot of adult B. smith take down food no bother but I suppose its always down to the individual spider
My female has always had a great feeding response...even as a sling.
My B. smithi would eat more if it didn't spend so much time on the walls like an Avic. :meh:
Mine has a really cool hide...it chooses to sit on the walls half of the time as well, the other half of the time she's on the hide...has literally never gone beneath the hide.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
The feeding videos probably skew the overall perception since people tend not to post feeding videos where the T waits four hours before taking a bite :rofl:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My female has always had a great feeding response...even as a sling. Mine does go into it on occasion but usually is either on the walls or sitting in the open.

Mine has a really cool hide...it chooses to sit on the walls half of the time as well, the other half of the time she's on the hide...has literally never gone beneath the hide.