T only eating at night

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah I know B.smithi don't have the best feeding response
Mine must be more defective than I thought, she could give my A. geniculata a run for her money when it comes to tackling prey lol.

You probably just have a shy one, I somehow managed to end up with a bad-tempered one.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My female has always had a great feeding response...even as a sling.

Mine has a really cool hide...it chooses to sit on the walls half of the time as well, the other half of the time she's on the hide...has literally never gone beneath the hide.
She is messing with me now. After this discussion, I went over there and for once she is on the substrate like a normal spider. Also funny that she is right in front of the Hide, after I just got done saying that she uses it on occasion but usually not, and you said that yours never uses it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The feeding videos probably skew the overall perception since people tend not to post feeding videos where the T waits four hours before taking a bite :rofl:
Or they give their Ts a longer then normal wait time between feedings to ensure they tackle the prey quickly.

Mine eat steadily. I'm not overly concerned if I have to take out and throw away the occasional feeder when they don't eat. Anyone who has seen my Ts know they have very little issues with hunger. :D

AshS

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

I've had my first T a juvi B. smithi for a good few months now and it is finally eating about once every week or two so not in pre moult as I originally suspected. However it seems to only take food at night, now I know that tarantulas are nocturnal so its probably normal behaviour but I have watched literally hundreds of feeding videos over the last few years to learn as much about them as possible and have never seen anyone else have problems with T's snapping up food during the day. It's not an issue because I just put the cricket in before I go to bed and its gone by the morning, just curious if anyone has seen similar behaviour.
My A. Geniculata sling has a similar feeding ritual. A Cricket can run around her enclosure all day and she wont pay any attention to it. after 8pm however she goes nuts at it, like a Genic should.