T. Olive sling tries to eat but fails (Im worried)

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
Hi guys Im worried
my T . Olive sling is hungry and I try to feed it
It grabs the food and tries to strike but it wont kill it
Its definatly hungry because it rushed out and striked
I even feed it the same livefood before

Trenor

Arachnoprince
What prey are you trying to feed it? Is it trying to eat or is it trying to kill/run off the food because it is in premolt?

Show us a photo of the sling and that might help.

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
What prey are you trying to feed it? Is it trying to eat or is it trying to kill/run off the food because it is in premolt?

Show us a photo of the sling and that might help.
I cant take a picture but its not in premolt it tried to eat it even tried to inject it but it let go im feeding it bean weevils

creepa

Arachnoknight
What the .... is a t olive sling?

NOTE TO MODDS...: make a rule on propper latin name in titles please..., i dont care about common names in posts but imo at least use Latin names in thread titles...!!!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I cant take a picture but its not in premolt it tried to eat it even tried to inject it but it let go im feeding it bean weevils
A photo will also let us see the size of the abdomen. If it's really plump your sling my not eat again till it molts or uses some of the food store up. A lot of times if the T isn't hungry but the food is somewhere it doesn't like then it'll kill and dump the prey. I've heard of arboreal Ts pushing the prey out of the web. My Ts will often kill the prey and leave it in the water dish.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Like Trenor said a T in premolt will often strike at a prey item. But because their not hungry they won't eat it. If I have a sling that hasn't molted in a while, and is striking at prey items but not eating them, my first thought is premolt.

boina

Lady of the mites
A photo will also let us see the size of the abdomen. If it's really plump your sling my not eat again till it molts or uses some of the food store up. A lot of times if the T isn't hungry but the food is somewhere it doesn't like then it'll kill and dump the prey. I've heard of arboreal Ts pushing the prey out of the web. My Ts will often kill the prey and leave it in the water dish.
Yeah, the water dish - favorite place for everything unwanted :shifty:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Aryan Kalia You're better off trying small crickets even if you pre kill them N incei are fantastic eaters. As for your particular sling without pictures members can't even begin to give you any sort of advice you require

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
Like Trenor said a T in premolt will often strike at a prey item. But because their not hungry they won't eat it. If I have a sling that hasn't molted in a while, and is striking at prey items but not eating them, my first thought is premolt.
it was hungry it chased and tried to eat

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Is 'olive' a name for the species, or did you just nicknamed it 'olive'?

Without pics, help is minimal at best...

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Does the sling have fangs? Because if it still has fangs, it is most likely one of the above mentioned cases either it does not want what your trying to feed it or its in pre-molt. Were talking about a sling so they do molt fairly often. And just because it chased it down and bit it doesn't mean it has to be hungry. It could have simply been defending its territory. Try another source of food if its still not eating its most likely in premolt.

sasker

Arachnoprince
To recap: based on very limited information and no pictures, the sling is most likely in premolt. However, the OP maintains that this is not the case, basing his assumption on the fact that his tarantula does not completely ignore prey items.

@Aryan Kalia: this platform is full of people who are really willing to help, but you have to provide more detailed information. So far, it is not entirely clear what species your tarantula is, the size of your spider or when it last molted.

Give more details!

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
To recap: based on very limited information and no pictures, the sling is most likely in premolt. However, the OP maintains that this is not the case, basing his assumption on the fact that his tarantula does not completely ignore prey items.

@Aryan Kalia: this platform is full of people who are really willing to help, but you have to provide more detailed information. So far, it is not entirely clear what species your tarantula is, the size of your spider or when it last molted.

Give more details!
he is 1cm lives in this

Attachments