T ockerti molting in a strange place and position

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I just came home and saw one of my T ockerti like this. I don’t even know what to say. Is there any chance this will turn out well? I am So confused as to how it got this way; I thought terrestrial tarantulas molted on a molt mat on the ground. Thanks for any advice or input!

[edit] Feeling really silly, she was just hanging out there, not molting. She's now sitting on the glass on one of the sides of her enclsoure, not molting.

Attachments

Last edited:

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Ockerti arent terrestrial...fwiw.

Oh no. I thought I did the proper research. I have been keeping them terrestrially since I got them. Thanks for that info.

[e] I keep seeing “semi arboreal” when I search but I thought that didn’t really exist? I have my GBB set up “semi arboreally” and it seems to work for it, but is it okay for my ockerti?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Oh no. I thought I did the proper research. I have been keeping them terrestrially since I got them. Thanks for that info.

[e] I keep seeing “semi arboreal” when I search but I thought that didn’t really exist? I have my GBB set up “semi arboreally” and it seems to work for it, but is it okay for my ockerti?
Yeah, GBBs are terrestrial...heavy webbers, like GBB and OBT for example, are very adaptable, and as a result, make due just fine, but it doesn't make them arboreal or even semi-arboreal.

IMO the only t on the planet I know of that I would actually qualify as semi arboreal would be T. ockerti. But IMO they're really more to that arboreal side.

My female, when young, split time between ground and elevated...as she matured, she now spends the vast majority of her time up on the wood.

20201029_140013.jpg t

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Yeah, GBBs are terrestrial...heavy webbers, like GBB and OBT for example, are very adaptable, and as a result, make due just fine, but it doesn't make them arboreal or even semi-arboreal.

IMO the only t on the planet I know of that I would actually qualify as semi arboreal would be T. ockerti. But IMO they're really more to that arboreal side.

My female, when young, split time between ground and elevated...as she matured, she now spends the vast majority of her time up on the wood.
Thank you so much for this info. I’m going to be adapting both my ockertis set ups so they’re more comfortable. Would it be the same for all in this genus? I have a blue Thrixopelma (not the cyaneolum, but it’s blue), and it seems a lot chunkier and terrestrial looking than my ockerti. I really enjoy this genus (will probably enjoy it even more when I keep them correctly).

Also I know GBBs aren’t “semi aboreal” but I set it up that way to give her more/varied anchor points, not because I think she wants to live part time in a tree, lol.

cold blood

Staff member