T not liking her substrate??

AHMR

Arachnosquire
I have a 6" g.porteri that literally lives on her rock ledge 24/7 and refuses to go on her substrate. Literally.
She never goes off the ledge. If I happen to spook her and she runs onto the substrate,she immediately runs back onto her rock ledge(then kicks hairs to get me outta her enclosure lol).
I mean she hates the substrate so much she won't even go on it to get to water. Literally. I noticed she was looking a little dehydrated when the water dish was on the substrate so when I made the bigger rock ledge I put her water dish on it and she sat drinking for a good half hr or so! Drank about 3/4 of the water in one sitting.
At first I thought maybe she just didn't like the incline(hill) I had in her enclosure,so I added more substrate to level it out. But she still refuses to go on it.
I just don't get it.
She just refuses to be on her substrate period. In nearly 6wks I've NEVER seen her off her rock ledge.(before I built the ledge she use to stay up the walls,in a plant or on a small rock(3x4") that I got out of her original enclosure from the last owner.
I know porteris like dry substrate so it's bone dry.pic #1 is to show her substrate.
I know before I got her she was living on wood pieces of some sort(pic 2 to show what. Don't mind the dead bugs,it wasn't me!).
So I'm assuming she's never seen actual coco substrate before.
But ya....a life on a rock can't be the best for her. More so cause all day and some nights she has her face pressed into plants to block the sun or hide I'm assuming. Some nights she's facing out away from the plants,just lounging.
So should I leave it be or maybe try another substrate?
I'm at a loss. I just feel sad that her entire existence is the span of her rock ledge(6" by 14" ish)(pic three shows her ledge).
So tips? As I'm worried her not wanting to go on her substrate can impede her eatting once she's decided she's fasted enough and wants to eat. Or that she could not be eating because she just doesn't wanna chase the food onto the substrate for all I know.
I just know I've owned her for about 6wks and she's never once eaten(not worried about that,as I know they can go long periods. Plus she molted 3 days before I got her.) and has never been on her substrate for more then a few moments when accidental.
But ya.....any ideas?

Attachments

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
that second photo made me cringe!!That could not suck any worse.
I'm still learning every day,but your enclosure looks good to me.
Maybe try some top soil instead of the coco fiber?Just get the top soil
with no fertilizer or any additives.
At least you know shes getting water.that was one thirsty girl!!!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a 6" g.porteri that literally lives on her rock ledge 24/7 and refuses to go on her substrate. Literally.
She never goes off the ledge. If I happen to spook her and she runs onto the substrate,she immediately runs back onto her rock ledge(then kicks hairs to get me outta her enclosure lol).
I mean she hates the substrate so much she won't even go on it to get to water. Literally. I noticed she was looking a little dehydrated when the water dish was on the substrate so when I made the bigger rock ledge I put her water dish on it and she sat drinking for a good half hr or so! Drank about 3/4 of the water in one sitting.
At first I thought maybe she just didn't like the incline(hill) I had in her enclosure,so I added more substrate to level it out. But she still refuses to go on it.
I just don't get it.
She just refuses to be on her substrate period. In nearly 6wks I've NEVER seen her off her rock ledge.(before I built the ledge she use to stay up the walls,in a plant or on a small rock(3x4") that I got out of her original enclosure from the last owner.
I know porteris like dry substrate so it's bone dry.pic #1 is to show her substrate.
I know before I got her she was living on wood pieces of some sort(pic 2 to show what. Don't mind the dead bugs,it wasn't me!).
So I'm assuming she's never seen actual coco substrate before.
But ya....a life on a rock can't be the best for her. More so cause all day and some nights she has her face pressed into plants to block the sun or hide I'm assuming. Some nights she's facing out away from the plants,just lounging.
So should I leave it be or maybe try another substrate?
I'm at a loss. I just feel sad that her entire existence is the span of her rock ledge(6" by 14" ish)(pic three shows her ledge).
So tips? As I'm worried her not wanting to go on her substrate can impede her eatting once she's decided she's fasted enough and wants to eat. Or that she could not be eating because she just doesn't wanna chase the food onto the substrate for all I know.
I just know I've owned her for about 6wks and she's never once eaten(not worried about that,as I know they can go long periods. Plus she molted 3 days before I got her.) and has never been on her substrate for more then a few moments when accidental.
But ya.....any ideas?
It took my LP about two months before it would leave a piece of bark after a move. It was poorly kept with soaking sub in a tiny container before I got it.

If there's room leave a large bottle cap near the rocks and just let it do its tarantula thing.

BTW, be prepared to get some flak for the huge space between the top of the enclosure and the top of the substrate. If it falls from that height, it could seriously hurt itself.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The substrate looks dry on the surface, but it looks a bit (not a lot) moist. It could be why she doesn't like it. Like Bryverine said, make sure se has acces to water from the slab, maybe place food a little closer to here. The height is a bit much, so you could choose to add more and make sure that is bone dry, like, dusty dry.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Yeah, in the third picture the substrate looks sort of moist in that little den you have for her, and maybe that's upsetting her? I give my Ts sub that has been baked in the oven for a good period to make sure all of the moisture is taken out.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
It took my LP about two months before it would leave a piece of bark after a move. It was poorly kept with soaking sub in a tiny container before I got it.

If there's room leave a large bottle cap near the rocks and just let it do its tarantula thing.

BTW, be prepared to get some flak for the huge space between the top of the enclosure and the top of the substrate. If it falls from that height, it could seriously hurt itself.
The substrate looks dry on the surface, but it looks a bit (not a lot) moist. It could be why she doesn't like it. Like Bryverine said, make sure se has acces to water from the slab, maybe place food a little closer to here. The height is a bit much, so you could choose to add more and make sure that is bone dry, like, dusty dry.
Yeah, in the third picture the substrate looks sort of moist in that little den you have for her, and maybe that's upsetting her? I give my Ts sub that has been baked in the oven for a good period to make sure all of the moisture is taken out.
The substrate is all dry except for a little bit on the far right side of her enclosure(opposite side from her ledge) from the new substrate I added to level it out.(to get rid of the incline. The den just looks moist due to shadow effect from the flash(took the pic in a dark room)
As 80% of her substrate was cooked before adding. Only 20% was slightly moist(from a brick expanded 2wks before) from the substrate I added to level it out.
Also the substrate is her leg span from the top of the tank. She can be touching the top at the same time she's touching the ground. As the tank is only 12" high and the substrate is 6" deep. She's approx 6"(I measured her while on the glass at just over 5" not fully extending her legs) I made sure of that,as I was worried of fall injuries as she was always up the glass before.
She just won't go on the substrate. :s
I've tried placing food on her ledge with her....she watches it walk away lol so that's where I'm assuming she's just not hungry yet.

Ya her last cage even had me cringing. Thankfully I had her new enclosure set up within an hr of returning home with her.(minus the plants. Those got added the next day.)
I'm hoping she's just sticking to her platform cuz she's just still adjusting and will eventually live in ALL of her enclosure. I've been wondering if I shouldn't try peat moss as bedding to see if that helps. If I can find it.(as its winter here now lol so gardening things become very hard to find.)
But ya....I assuring you the top of her tank is only her leg span from the dirt. So no fall risk here.
As well as her small ceramic dish is on her ledge in the corner for access to water at all times now. Her ledge is big enough that it fits her and the dish without cramping her.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
And to make a liar outta me.....I just went into my room and tada....she's walking on the substrate.....I don't know if it's a fluke or what. But she's just calmly walking around.....lol
Figures that as soon as I decide to voice my worry here and get opinions,she starts to walk on the substrate....lol

Attachments

mistertim

Arachnobaron
And to make a liar outta me.....I just went into my room and tada....she's walking on the substrate.....I don't know if it's a fluke or what. But she's just calmly walking around.....lol
Figures that as soon as I decide to voice my worry here and get opinions,she starts to walk on the substrate....lol
Haha. She was trolling you the whole time probably.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
oh I know she didn't like her substrate. As this is the first time I've ever caught her on it. I'm in and out of my room constantly. As is my man and even he's commented that she never moves.
But even if she's been trolling me on it,I'm ok with that lol as now I know her existence isn't confined to a rock platform. She deserves to have a home she has space and comfort in. Her last home was to small and full of dead bugs and wood chips.
So I'm just glad she's settling in. :)