T not eating.

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know Tarantulas can fast in pre moult and can go for periods of time without being interested in the food provided, but i have had a recurring problem with each of my Ts.
I currently own a sub adult female B.Smithi which i have owned since december, which since then has seemed to have lost weight.
In the past i have owned a MM G.rosea and a MF A.Avic. All of which just haven't eaten properly.
My A.avic was the only one which i have seen eat but still she used to, alot of the time, not eat for weeks.
Could this be a problem with the way i look after my Ts or have i just managed to buy all the un-hungry T's?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know Tarantulas can fast in pre moult and can go for periods of time without being interested in the food provided, but i have had a recurring problem with each of my Ts.
I currently own a sub adult female B.Smithi which i have owned since december, which since then has seemed to have lost weight.
In the past i have owned a MM G.rosea and a MF A.Avic. All of which just haven't eaten properly.
My A.avic was the only one which i have seen eat but still she used to, alot of the time, not eat for weeks.
Could this be a problem with the way i look after my Ts or have i just managed to buy all the un-hungry T's?
How are you defining "eating properly"?

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How are you defining "eating properly"?
Sorry for the bad wording, I meant more along the lines of not eating at all/not eating for very long periods of time (I have yet to see or know about my current b.smithi eat) as i pointed out earlier its been over 2 months now since the Smithi has eaten.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for the bad wording, I meant more along the lines of not eating at all/not eating for very long periods of time (I have yet to see or know about my current b.smithi eat) as i pointed out earlier its been over 2 months now since the Smithi has eaten.
Honestly this just sounds like normal tarantula behavior to me. Tarantulas will fast for long periods of time, so that is not unusual. We have a B. smithi that burrowed down and didn't eat for almost 3 months, so even for that species it is normal. As long as they are fully hydrated and have water available, I wouldn't worry over missed meals. Tarantulas do not measure time by days or weeks, but instead from molt to molt. They will eat what they need to molt, when they want to eat it. We humans can scratch our heads about it, but they are the tarantulas and I trust their instincts more.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you post a picture of the tarantula in question?

*Edit*

Maybe even a picture of it enclosure?

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't worry at all. I read somewhere that picky eaters will sometimes munch on search function...:?

In all seriousness, unless the T is curled up and crunchy or has something growing off of it, I generally just figure they know what they are doing. As long as temps are reasonable and humidity is right, they should be "smart" enough to figure things out themselves. Just keep offering food.

--Dan

p.s. It has been over half a year since my G. rosea has even considered eating, and she is nice and thick. She also isn't showing any signs of pre-molt (other than the eating disorder).

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First thing I notice. The substrate looks like it needs to dry out...

Second thing... That T has a fat rump. Its probably not eating because its not hungry. But thats just a guess.

It could be stressed from the wet/damp/moist substrate. It could be anything really.

But it does not look like you need to worry. Its got a chunky but.

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First thing I notice. The substrate looks like it needs to dry out...

Second thing... That T has a fat rump. Its probably not eating because its not hungry. But thats just a guess.

It could be stressed from the wet/damp/moist substrate. It could be anything really.

But it does not look like you need to worry. Its got a chunky but.
These are pictures from when i first got the T. The substrate has dried out and she has slimmed out. Sorry for the old pictures, i don't have access to my camera to take pictures at the moment.