T not eating

android89

Arachnopeon
I have an avicularia versicolor and it will not eat after its molt, im a bit worried. Usually in its past molts it would come out and be super hungry and eat everything i could put near it. Before the molt i fed it tons of crickets (like at least 1-2 a day) of the large size ones, my T is only about 3-4 inches long when fully stretched out in a line. I have these tongs i use to feed it, i usually put them at the entrance to its web and he knows before the cricket is even near, now he just swats them away and cowers and runs..... its really weird i checked his fangs they seem to be okay, he hasnt left his nest yet either, i would take pictures but they would be worthless as i have a crappy 2 mp camera and hes basically entrenched in web. i am new to this site (it was referred to me by the seller of my T).

OH MY GOD

as i was writing this good ol walter caught himself a cricket im so happy!

he had gone like 2 weeks w/o eating

anyways im gonna post this even though my problem is solved because maybe someone has some info pertaining to this subject.

thanks in advance Andrew!

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spiders usually won't eat a while before and a while after a molt. Sometimes a couple weeks. It's not wise to give them food right after they molt since they need some time to harden up.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay...
First, you don't need to feed your spider every day. One to two crickets a week is fine and is the preferred way to feed.
Second, a T can go months at a time without eating.
Third, NEVER put crickets in right after a molt. They can munch on the spiders soft skin and severely injure it. You need to wait a week or two before putting a cricket in.

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Depending on the size of the T will determine how long it will need to harden before it is safe to put food in. An adult tarantula will need a couple weeks, but a sling won't need very long. It sounds like your T is big enough to need a little while to harden after a molt.

This is why having tarantulas as pets is so much easier than other animals. A few crickets a week, or less, and you're good to go.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed my spiders after 3-4 weeks after their molt becouse they don't want to eat before. Just calm down and observe. My A. versicolor when she's not hungry sits inside her web, if she's hungry she waits infront the enclosure door when I will give her to eat.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just be patient, she will let you know when she's hungry.
Good advice above.

PIG-

webbedone

Arachnobaron
its totaly normal for spiders to fast for weeks before or after a molt stop freaking out