T not eating???

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

My L. parahybana (spelling) has refused food for a few weeks now. What is going on with him? He is also losing weight because of this?

Cheers,

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try a different prey item, also make sure he has fresh water, is he a mature male by chance ? any other info you can offer would be helpful....

Regards, Mike

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It could just be fasting, preparing for a molt, or if it is a mature male it will not eat very much. What is its size?

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say it is about 7-8 inches. I have tried feeding different prey items but it refuses everything but crickets and I can't get roaches.

It use to eat A LOT

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd say it is about 7-8 inches. I have tried feeding different prey items but it refuses everything but crickets and I can't get roaches.

It use to eat A LOT
Do you know the gender? Do you know if its a mature male? Can you get some pics?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We're going to need pics of the front two legs.

Does this spider have tibial spurs?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks pretty leggy. Like Chesh said, get some pics of the front two legs.

icenola

Arachnopeon
My parahybana went without eating for 4 weeks...then molted..on 8/1/07..then still refused food until today on 8/12/07 when he finally gobbled up his favorite food....a brown cricket....will feed him about 4 per week now til his next molt..he's about 4 inches in size. I find tho they retreat into their hide and won't even come out to their water dish while waiting for their molt. I misted into his retreat a few times and watched as he drank off the walls. You would think they would at least try to keep themselves hydrated and come out to drink something...grrrrr...

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm Back

My L.parahybana or however you spell it is a mature male. He was identified by a fellow arachnoboard member in person. He has lost a considerable amount of weight in this random fasting period. Can anyone tell me why?

Cheers,

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Once they are mature after the first few weeks they just don't care about food. I have my MM's drink more then eat. This is because instinct kicks in and all they care about is mating. They will wander in nature long distances to find a mate, taking cover in the day to build sperm webs and then repeat the whole deal over again. They typically only live till the coming of the fall, or till a hungry female eats him. They will literally mate themselves to death if given the chance. Some life huh. {D
Every now and then in captivity a mature male will try to molt again, this results in limb loss most of the time and they get stuck in their molts and die. Most mature males that try that molt and make it lose the palps at the very least.