T molting or dead/dying?

sid1221

Arachnopeon
My adult female G. pulchripes doesn't do anything when I nudge her a long with a paintbrush, except that some of her legs move a little but not enough to walk or anything. Temperature has been 72 in the house, she has water, and hasn't eaten in 10 days (she won't eat). I'm new to this but she doesn't look right to me, especially since she doesn't react to me touching her with the brush. She also has a bald spot on her abdomen and is not a flicker. I read that the curling of the legs is a "death curl" a lot of times. tr.jpg

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
How large is she? Is her abdomen shriveled? Pics from as many angles as possible, if possible please. For now, even if it isn't dehydration, try flipping her on her back gently, and gently administering a drop of water to the spot between her two fangs. She isn't molting, she looks to be dying, but from the pic the abdomen isn't shriveled, so might not be dehydration.

Any possibility of pesticides or other poisoning? Do you feed wild caught prey? Do you spray pesticides/herbicides, etc. etc. around your house?

Sorry for all the questions, we need all the info. Good luck.

sid1221

Arachnopeon
She's 5 inches. No abdomen shriveling that I can see. I'll give her a drop of water.

I suppose there is the possibility of pesticides since our apartment is sprayed every 3 months. She is high above the baseboard but one time I took her out for a minute and put her on the ground near the baseboard - however, that was at least a month after it was sprayed and I don't believe he sprayed that particular baseboard but it's possible. The crickets are from Petco. Here is a couple of more pics I took for you:

t2.jpg

t1.jpg

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
The pesticides could be it, I'm sad to say. Spraying pesticides gets pesticides in the air, and it can travel especially if it was sprayed in the same room as the t. That abdomen looks small for only fasting for ten days. Sorry to say this, but situation is looking bleak. Give her water and hope for the best. If there is a room that the apartment is not sprayed, move her there. For future reference, if possible, ask if they could avoid spraying within the rooms.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I would expect pesticides to act quicker - how long ago did you put her on the floor?

Do you have other pets - dogs or cats - and have you used any sort of topical flea/tick medication on them?

sid1221

Arachnopeon
I would expect pesticides to act quicker - how long ago did you put her on the floor?

Do you have other pets - dogs or cats - and have you used any sort of topical flea/tick medication on them?
I put her on it a week ago. And yeah both my dog and cat have flea meds, although the dog takes a pill whereas the cat has Frontline.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Any idea how old she is? She looks pretty rough looking, maybe it's just old age.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I put her on it a week ago. And yeah both my dog and cat have flea meds, although the dog takes a pill whereas the cat has Frontline.
It could very well be pesticide then, either from the floor, or front the Frontline. Always wash your hands before doing anything pertaining to your tarantula(s), but especially if you use topical flea & tick meds on other pets.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
From what I've read about others dealing with a poisoned T, usually they twitch and make all sorts of weird jerky movements. Did you happen to notice anything odd like that before the curl?

sid1221

Arachnopeon
From what I've read about others dealing with a poisoned T, usually they twitch and make all sorts of weird jerky movements. Did you happen to notice anything odd like that before the curl?
Not at all. Quite the opposite: very laid back and slow moving.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
This is really a shot in the dark, but hopefully some others could chime in. Maybe try flipping her over and giving her some "cricket paste", she looks underfed IMO. Maybe she was also too weak to take down any food recently hence not eating..?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It does appear to be deceased.
How long had you had the T?
When was it's last molt?
Photos of enclosure?
The well rounded abdomen does not indicate under feeding or gross dehydration.
In most cases of pesticide toxicity, there will be spastic movements prior to death, but not always.
Mature males usually go through a period of decline prior to death, but not always. Check for palpal emboli.
The "death curl" is usually due to dehydration or fluid loss, though some spiders will curl post mortem even if well hydrated. Many spiders will expire sans "curl".
Spiders can die unexpectedly from any one of a number of reasons. Sometimes we never know the cause.
Since you know there were pesticides in use in the home, step up diligence in preventing exposure to other tarantulas- don't handle spiders, no walk abouts, wear nitrile or latex gloves for maintenance, keep treated mammals out of the room, etc.
Since cause of death is unknown, definitely do not reuse substrate, and clean enclosure very well before using for any other invert.

louise f

Arachnoangel
the cat has Frontline
This is some of the worst you can give your cat when you have T`s IMO. I had a cat some years back and one day i got a perfectly fine Brachypelma boehmei sitting and doing a weird dance, what i would call DKS. She ended up looking like yours do and suddenly die. And i used the frontline for my cat, i never thought of it then, that it could have been the frontline messing with my beautiful brachy. A few others died the same way they were just slings. I`m happy that it did`nt hit my other adult ones.
If i knew back then that frontline could do that, i would never have used it for sure.

Ever since my lovely cat died, not a single T suffering from any funny moving or dying in that weird way, so i would assume that it only could have been the frontline