T measuring

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Seems like I'm not the only one who doesn't know how to properly measure a T.How does one measure it?....length of body..outstretched or normal standing legspan(front to back...side to side)??.I hate referring to the size by comparing it to objects...plus when purchasing one online I'll have a better idea of the size I'm getting....peace...

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From what I've heard, the general consensus is that the T is measured by the length of its body and legs. Personally, I think they should be measured by the length of the body. Including the legs just gives too much room for variables. Unless you have a pokie, how often do you really see a T with its legs outstretched long enough to be measured? I realize the abdomen can vary the results some depending on how full it is. But, the size doesn't seem to vary as much lengthwise. Just my two cents.

Bry

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Bry
Unless you have a pokie, how often do you really see a T with its legs outstretched long enough to be measured?
Bry
That's why I only measure exuvia. I may not know the exact current size, but I sure as hell know exactly how big it was before it molted :)

Scott

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by pelo
Seems like I'm not the only one who doesn't know how to properly measure a T.How does one measure it?....length of body..outstretched or normal standing legspan(front to back...side to side)??.I hate referring to the size by comparing it to objects...plus when purchasing one online I'll have a better idea of the size I'm getting....peace...
When I give a tarantula measurement, I give the lengthwise body measurement (from front of head to back of abdomen) and also the legspan measurement, from the tip of a front leg to the tip of the opposing rear leg (diagonally).

Last edited: