T measuring, What do you DO?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
For a long long time Ive had differet input from everyone from noob's to importers on how they measure thier T's. Ive always measure mine in a normal crawling position on a measured circle, or from front leg to back in the walking position.
I ocassionally get the obsurd completley stretched way of measuring, this is a requirement for taxonomy and the scientific portion of the hobby, as far as standards and consistency in information.
I personally have never once recieved a T that was advertised as 5" and found that to be at a maximum strectched position. After a somewhat indepth debate with a seller, Ive decided to try to get a bearing from the "hobbyists/small scale breeders" and the dealers/large scale breeders.

Do you...

A. Measure your T's to the maximum extent possible, ie if the ftont and rear leg was fully stretched?

B. Measure your T in a normal "crawling" stance, as in having the front leg out and the rear, but in a natural position as if crawling, whether its diagonal from front left to right rear, or left front to left rear.

C. Give a good guess in err on the small side......ie being modest.

D. Could give a crap less what size your T is.

E. Some other method.

THis is a touchy subjust as for those who are scientifically involved it is imperative that a standard method be used for accurate documentation and history.
On the consumer side, I would assume that to err away from the maximum stretched pos. would be expected as Ive seen all of the dealers with an online presence do. To an extent though, not so much that you would get an 8" T for the price of a 5"er.....lets hear...:razz:

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
D, or I measure the moults, which can be freely manipulated into the right position without hassling the animal.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Oaky...but how specifically do you measure? Say what leg to what leg in what position? If I puchasde a T from you how would you measure it?

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I was trying to sell you a T, I'd tell you its rough size, from how big it's last moult was. If you wanted to know any more specifically than that, I'd want to know why you cared ! But in measuring moults, I go (looking top down at the spider moult) diagonally from front right leg to left hind leg - tip to tip. The legs are not in 'forced stretched position, but sitting largely how they do when alive.

Just did this on my genic, which, coincidentally moulted yesterday into a 7"+ beauty. I have no desire to know exactly HOW much bigger she got until next year when she moults again, and then I can compare and contrast the 2 ! This year, however, she grew 2.3cm tip to tip, and carapace difference (measured centre front to centre back, and then centre left to centre right) was 7 mm in both directions. And that's accurate enough for me. But then I'm not submitting taxonomical details to anywhere, except my own website...

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
If you wanted to know any more specifically than that, I'd want to know why you cared !
Ild agree, just prodding for the threads sake...:D That must be a nice genic, lovley T.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i just wait till i catch them in a relaxed position on the edge of the glass, or on the side of the glass. then put a ruler up next to it. i used to keep a log of feeding, molts, and kept the sizes of them after each molt too. i got a bit lazy though and haven't gotten around to downloading one of those programs to keep track of all that stuff.

if the spider is on the glass, i measure the same way cerbera does it. diagonally from one of the first front legs to one of the last back legs.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when i need to measure for selling purposes, i measure from tip of leg I to leg IV but on the same side. I make sure to mention that, i feel that gives a more accurate visual of the specimen. I think the left front leg to back right leg makes them sound larger than they will appear.

Personally when I purchase I really dont mind, unless they jacked up the price for a large one, and it turns out to be small. If for some really I need a certain size, i ask for a picture so I can get a more accurate idea.

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
most every T ive bought has been larger than what they were originally said to be. I recieved a 3" T blondie thats more like3.5