T man's considering a scorp.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm thinking about a scorp. but Im not sure, yet. Exactly how likely are you to get stung? I hear emperors rarely sting at all. That true? Also, are any ok to handle?

Here's a weird, non-purchase related question: my old man said his girlfriend's dad (I know, sounds like crap already...) in Arkansas was stung by a scorpion and it put him in the hospital. Are there any that venomous in the US? I've never heard anything of it...

thnx,
N.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
I'm thinking about a scorp. but Im not sure, yet. Exactly how likely are you to get stung? I hear emperors rarely sting at all. That true? Also, are any ok to handle?

Here's a weird, non-purchase related question: my old man said his girlfriend's dad (I know, sounds like crap already...) in Arkansas was stung by a scorpion and it put him in the hospital. Are there any that venomous in the US? I've never heard anything of it...

thnx,
N.
Well, you can handle ANY scorpion, though it is not recommended that you handle any scorpion.

Having said that, I've handled my emps MANY times and not been stung. Hell, I've even tried in vain to get them to sting me, just to see what it feels like.

But then again, others have been stung by emps on several occasions.

I like to think of scorps in much the same way as tarantulas: they're dumb as bricks, and usually pretty predictable (though that would vary on its species and "mood" at the moment). Just as some people are occasionally bitten by B. smithis and some people aren't bitten by H. lividums, you can be stung by an emp, while not being stung by an H. arizonensis. But you can usually keep from being tagged just by knowing what will get them to tag you.

In other words, any scorpion can be handled, though you're always taking a risk. Since there's always a risk of being stung, don't handle scorpions that have a good chance of killing you. And you should usually be able to handle even aggressive scorpions, as long as you know how they tend to respond to being bothered by you.

And yes, there are highly venomous scorps in the US. Centruroides exilicauda's venom is sometimes fatal, though there have been no recorded fatalities in many years. And I'm not sure if that scorp lives in Arkansas or not.

And I'm not sure if there are any other North American scorpions that can put a healthy adult in the hospital. I sort of suspect there would be, but you'll have to ask an expert about that.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you get a scorp get a hadrurus spadix or arizonensis you wont be dissapointed.:D

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
C. vittattus is native to Arkansas, but I've never seen them send a person to the hospital for any more than an initial glance-over by medical personnel. I've seen at least 50 people get stung by this species and none had pain any longer than a couple days. Obviously it hurts, but it's not likely to give severe envenomation.

adios,
edw. ;)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Anything can get you in the hospital, especialy when people haven't a clue. Chances are if it hurt it was C.vittatus. Far from life threatening unless there was an allergic reaction or some sort of "home remedy" involved. The former is unlikely, the latter more likely.

I have handled a few species but would still advise against it. If you must handle something, anything from the Scorpionidae and Ishnuridae families should be fine. That being said, I'd approach handling with a bit of caution and really try to get a feel for the beast first.

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
I have handled a few species but would still advise against it. If you must handle something, anything from the Scorpionidae and Ishnuridae families should be fine. That being said, I'd approach handling with a bit of caution and really try to get a feel for the beast first.

Cheers,
Dave
The only thing I've ever seen near me are Emperors. Are they ok? In general, not necessarily for handling. I only asked about handling because I find the idea of picking up something with a sting a little silly :D

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Emperors are Pandinus imperator and are of the family Scorpionoidae. There venom is pretty mild. I have never owned one, though I did handle one in a pet store at Kellygirl's request recently.

Cheers,
Dave

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

thnx,
N.
I like to recommend P. imperators or H. troglodyte to anyone not familiar with taking care of scorpions. The Emps I've owned in the past have never stung me, but they will not hesitate to pinch you if they feel threatened.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Scorps can be kept together, right? Anytime I see them there's usually a bunch of them together. Is there less risk of cannibalism with them than with Ts?

Also, do females live longer than males, like with Ts? If so, how would I tell if the one I'm looking at is female?

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Some scorpions are better at being kept together than others. P.imperator is pretty good in groups, for example, whereas H.troglodytes tend to eat each other. There is, however, always the possibility of canabalism.

Female scorpions do not live an appreciably longer time. As for sexing them, there are lots of websites out there with emperor sexing info and there are lots of previous threads on this site dealing with the subject.

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Welp, I've been window shopping and I think I'm picking up a P. imperator in the next couple weeks. It'll be a 4th of July present to myself :D

A certain someone I live with is going to kill me when she eventually discovers my Ts and a scorp, too...Oh well, you only live once! Unless the hindus are right, in which case I'm prolly in trouble :rolleyes:

One last question- I read in another post that a few people have gotten scorps with a broken/filed/cut off sting. Does this hurt them???

N.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One last question- I read in another post that a few people have gotten scorps with a broken/filed/cut off sting. Does this hurt them???

N.
It does hurt them, and I will say this once and only once:

DO NOT REMOVE A SCORPION'S TELSON

In case they ever do need to defend themselves, it is their primary sounce of it. It also will subdue any prey that happens to be too energetic for their large claws to handle.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wasn't going to. Like I said, I saw it in another post and it was on my mind. Don't kill me for askin' :rolleyes:

N.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Diao
It does hurt them, and I will say this once and only once:

DO NOT REMOVE A SCORPION'S TELSON

In case they ever do need to defend themselves, it is their primary sounce of it. It also will subdue any prey that happens to be too energetic for their large claws to handle.
Furthermore, they don't look nearly as cool with clipped/missing telsons.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was reading caresheets and whathaveyou for emps and it said they can be kept in groups of 3 or more...does that mean if you have only 2 they'll fight? I know, silly question, but I'm a T keeper ;)

N.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
if youre thinking about getting an Emp why not opt to get the Asian Forest Scorp. Their VERY similar in appearance, but the Asian's are more aggressive. More aggressive with their claws, I've never seen my Asian's sting anything. They're so cute when they try to attack my forceps. But i guess if youre looking for a "safer" species to handle, the Emp would be the way to go.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, all I can find around here are emps, and I'm far too lazy to go out of my way :D

N.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my trusted arachnid dealer is in Chicago, not sure how far that is from you, but i see youre at least in the same state as Art.:(

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by chuck
my trusted arachnid dealer is in Chicago, not sure how far that is from you, but i see youre at least in the same state as Art.:(
I'm roughly 20 miles from the city.

One last question before I begin my quest- is it really strongly recommended that you keep emps on peat or some other "dirt"? I ask only because the shop nearest me has some calcium sand stuff that glows in the dark. I figure since the emps will glow under a black light I might want to set up a "rave cage" for it ;P

Actually, I lied, I have one more. Is it better to buy a smaller one? It's been said that the females don't live significantly longer, so should I get get a small one to make sure I get some years out of it?

N.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the emp is a forest scorp, so i wouldnt get the sand. accidental intake my dehydrate them. i have scorps on forest bedding (that coconut stuff)
i enjoy taking care of all my arachnids, thats why i usually by them when they are small. the molt process gets me all excited, its like a birthday =D