T making phobia worse?

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Well I got interested in Ts because I wanted to overcome my arachnophobia (seems a lot of people got into the hobby that way). I still have a long way to go but like a lot of people I'm thinking of getting a T to move it all along. Reading the archives shows that a lot of people were able to overcome their fear by going about the same method but I was wondering how often people found out that they couldn't handle the T and had to rehome it. Were they not ready for the real thing? Did it make the phobia worse? Considering how far I've gotten I really don't want to regress. Trying to see how often it happens.

ETA: Reading this over, I say a lot of people, alot haha.

Last edited:

flyguycolorado

Arachnopeon
Most in the hobby will say that it's best not to handle your T. When it comes to re-housing and cage chores its really easy to separate yourself from the T until your more comfortable with the process. Los of good material on "cupping" IMO the best way to transfer a T of really any kind. Its really easy with most of you starter T's just place the cup in front of the T and very gently guide the T in to the cup with; wood spoon, paintbrush, tweezers, ect. I am sure you can search for a thread on this topic or even on you tube.
I got into the hobby for the same reason more or less, let just put it this way when I got my first T I was terrified of all spiders especially the big ones. Also for cage chores do yourself a favor and buy some really long tweezers 10"+.... hope some if any of this helps and all goes well they are really neat once you warm up to them.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Most in the hobby will say that it's best not to handle your T. When it comes to re-housing and cage chores its really easy to separate yourself from the T until your more comfortable with the process. Los of good material on "cupping" IMO the best way to transfer a T of really any kind. Its really easy with most of you starter T's just place the cup in front of the T and very gently guide the T in to the cup with; wood spoon, paintbrush, tweezers, ect. I am sure you can search for a thread on this topic or even on you tube.
I got into the hobby for the same reason more or less, let just put it this way when I got my first T I was terrified of all spiders especially the big ones. Also for cage chores do yourself a favor and buy some really long tweezers 10"+.... hope some if any of this helps and all goes well they are really neat once you warm up to them.
Thanks for the response. Don't worry I would never handle my Ts unless needed, for their safety and my sanity lol.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
for me, this hobby has given me a better level of respect for not just tarantulas, but also trues and other bugs. knowing they aren't going to beeline to me and jump on my face has helped me realize they are not out to get me just because they've moved into a corner of my apartment and i no longer squish stuff i find in my space, now i either let it go on its merry way or catch cup it and put it outside.

as to your question, i bet they didn't stick around on the boards if the T keeping didn't work out for them, lol. also, i've found not too many in the hobby i've talked to make the decision to handle, for risk factors involved, u-hair sensitivity, and because the T doesn't really get anything out of it. i think you can enjoy the hobby without that interaction, personally.

ha, actually... now that i think about it, the ex is going to have to deal with tv spider (probably a wolfie, not sure) when he takes his tv back.... lol, i might stick around to watch that :p

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
as to your question, i bet they didn't stick around on the boards if the T keeping didn't work out for them, lol.
Yeah that's the problem. The group of people best fit to answer my question wouldn't be on this board lol. I was hoping that people who have been around for years have noticed some rehomings due to phobias though.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah that's the problem. The group of people best fit to answer my question wouldn't be on this board lol. I was hoping that people who have been around for years have noticed some rehomings due to phobias though.
I'd venture a guess that most the rehomings due to a phobia are because of the significant other's fear :D

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe a first step would be to find someone who could help you keep a tarantula - or will let you borrow a tarantula. When it's necessary to do any of the chores that you do not feel comfortable with, have the other person stand by and coach you through it. If it doesn't work out, they can take the tarantula home with them. If it does work out, you'll probably end up getting more tarantulas.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Maybe a first step would be to find someone who could help you keep a tarantula - or will let you borrow a tarantula. When it's necessary to do any of the chores that you do not feel comfortable with, have the other person stand by and coach you through it. If it doesn't work out, they can take the tarantula home with them. If it does work out, you'll probably end up getting more tarantulas.
That's actually a really great idea. The question is, would anyone be crazy enough to go along with it :p

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I as might share my part of the story. I don't have arachnophobia or any other phobia from any animal or insect. I handled my B. smithi and A. versicolor few times, if they willinglly climed on my hand, never been nervous or frightened or anything, even from the speed of the versicolor, when it runs or when I feed her crickets by tongs.

When I got my P. cambridgei, I was all happy and so on. First bad experience is when it escaped its deli cup when I tried to house it into glass jar I aranged for it. When i found it about 10 minutes later, I was relieved. Now here is the tricky part. When I try to take out its food remains, I put my tongs in right? Well I get all nervous, shaking greatly and thats it. It is just a respect to the animal and its speed, but they are unpredictable as well. Especially if they jump.

But hey, even Steve erwin wasn't afraid of any animal except when he was handling the australian barking spider and he was shaking.ALOT.;P

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Phobia and ignorance go toghether. For me the second one is a necessary condition for the first one. This doesn't mean that if I know someone or something I will not have fear of it. It is more than normal to have a fear when approaching a tarantula or handling her, because you know that she is capable to give you a bite or to kick her hairs off. But this is something that you can deal with and you can control your feelings and your behavior.

So, IMO, the fact that you are trying to understand the world of spiders is a huge step to overcome your phobia regardeless if you are keeping or not a tarantula.

I hope, you can soon be considered a fearless spider keeper.