T loan gone bad?

andrews1

Arachnopeon
I loaned a mature male g. pulchripes to a freind of mine.(breeding laon) He matured about 6 months ago. The pulchripes was eatting 3 big cickets once a week.(in one stitting). The two spiders succesfully mated twice. He feeds all his Ts roaches. The male i loaned him is refuseing to eat the roaches, and is becoming weak. Im i wrong for insisting that he try crickets?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MM males tend to not enough as much or very infrequent so it may not be the roach to cricket idea your thinking.

Other than that if it's a friend and he considers your concern he should do it for you if you ask.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My best advice... If you want your MM to last longer.. Stop feeding him so much...

My A. avic matured 3 months ago.. I have fed him 3 medium crickets since.. I keep his water dish full.. I check that every other day.. He still has a bunch of energy.. Of course he is still a young MM... But to keep that energy.. You want to keep him hydrated & thin... This is of course my opinion.. Others my feel different about it..

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My P. regalis matured in September, 2009 and my P. irminia matured in December, 2009. Can't believe it has been almost a year for the P. regalis, he even still drums occasionally. Both of them only eat once per month (if they will even take the food).

-side note: 5"+ female P. regalis, too small for breeding?-

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
side note: 5"+ female P. regalis, too small for breeding?-
That all depends on who you ask... As long as the spermathecae on her previous moult is sclerotized then she will be mature enough to produce a sac.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My P. regalis matured in September, 2009 and my P. irminia matured in December, 2009. Can't believe it has been almost a year for the P. regalis, he even still drums occasionally. Both of them only eat once per month (if they will even take the food).

-side note: 5"+ female P. regalis, too small for breeding?-
I got a sac from my 5.25" female.

andrews1

Arachnopeon
Tanks Ictinike, Sorta felt like the guy didnt wanna at least try it. THat was my biggest gripe. With that being said i know they stop eatting but figured it would be worth a try only a staple food.

fleshman

Arachnopeon
My best advice... If you want your MM to last longer.. Stop feeding him so much...

I agree. I keep my house cool (60-65 F most of the time sometimes close to 70 if it's hot outside) and I hardly ever feed my tarantulas - not sure how often, because it's rather random, but I don't ever keep live crickets, I just buy them once a blue moon and feed all of what I buy. I have a had a MM G. rosea live for over two years before finally dying of old age (could have been older, he was MM when I got him from a petshop and I had him for a little over 2 yrs). I currently have a MM G. pulchripes looking pretty good still and he has been mature for just over a year now, been mated once. I also currently have a MM G. rosea, and alas I have no lady for him, and do not intend on spending the money on shipping him anywhere from AK to get bred =( - not sure how old he is, maybe 5-6 months. The only MM I have had not live a super long life would by my B. albopilosum who died recently at just about exactly one year from maturing and he died trying to molt... at least he got a chance to live up to his lifes purpose :D

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

I agree. I keep my house cool (60-65 F most of the time sometimes close to 70 if it's hot outside) and I hardly ever feed my tarantulas - not sure how often, because it's rather random, but I don't ever keep live crickets, I just buy them once a blue moon and feed all of what I buy. I have a had a MM G. rosea live for over two years before finally dying of old age (could have been older, he was MM when I got him from a petshop and I had him for a little over 2 yrs). I currently have a MM G. pulchripes looking pretty good still and he has been mature for just over a year now, been mated once. I also currently have a MM G. rosea, and alas I have no lady for him, and do not intend on spending the money on shipping him anywhere from AK to get bred =( - not sure how old he is, maybe 5-6 months. The only MM I have had not live a super long life would by my B. albopilosum who died recently at just about exactly one year from maturing and he died trying to molt... at least he got a chance to live up to his lifes purpose :D
Ill take the rosea mine is ready to breed and i live on the kenai!