T lingo

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been running into a bit of T lingo that I'm not sure what they mean.If someone would be so kind as to make a small list of the common/slang terms used I'd appreciate it and not feel like such a "duh" when coming across these common/slang terms.I now know what a "sling" is..lol.....peace.....

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hmm.. off the top of my head..

sling = spiderling.
LS = legspan
instar = the number of molt the T is on, after hatching into a spiderling. 1st, 2nd, 3rd..etc.
GBB = Greenbottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
leggs = Eggs with Legs, the second molt after the egg stage for a pre-spiderling.
all else that comes to mind are anatomical structures.. I'd reccomend viewing the sticky topic to find those out. More will come up, I'm sure.. but I'm too involved in my Bacon Double quarter pounder with cheese to do much thinking right now.

Bill

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well here is what I can come up with.................

SPECIES NICKNAMES
Blondi = Theraposa blondi (Goliath Birdeater)
Genic = Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian Whitebanded)
Orange Bitey Things/Pterrors = Pterinochilus murinus [orange form] (Usambara Baboon)
PZB = Pink Zebra Beauty
Pokie/Poke/Poec = Poecilotheria species
Rosie = Grammostola rosea (Chilean Rosehair)
Versi = Avicularia versicolor (Antilles Pinktoe)

TERMS
desiccated = dried up
gravid = pregnant
NW = New World, a species from the Americas and Europe (???), has urticating hairs (a defense against predators), usually more docile but there are exceptions!
OW = Old World, a species from Africa, India, or Asia, typically more aggressive and bitey, no urticating hairs
palps = pedipalps
pinkie = baby mouse AKA tarantula food :}
substrate = whatever you use as the "floor" of your tarantula's home--be it soil, peat moss, vermiculite, etc
T = tarantula

PHRASES

"boxing gloves" = mature males have distinctively different pedipalps with little bulbs on them
"death curl" = tarantula is dying; when tarantulas die, they curl their legs up underneath them--it looks distinctly different from when a tarantula is molting
"hammock method" = this refers to a way of keeping an eggsac as opposed to leaving it with its mother; search in this forum if you wanna learn more.
"on its back" = tarantula is in pre-molt

Hope this helps! And if you ever have a question, don't hesitate to ask. The people here are nice and helpful and if anyone were to ever think of making fun of you, we'd all come down on them REAL fast. Newbies are treated well here because we all have our time as newbies (I still am one!!).

kellygirl

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
an obvious one:

1) "avic" -- anything in the avicularia family, but usually just an A.avicularia

and some other ones that are pretty open:

2) "ICU" - the makeshift emergency care center/Deli cup to help a sick T

yup
peace,
dave :)

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
new one cuss Im a nut and everyones noticed it

Malhavoc's Madness:brave or stupid enough to handle highly agressive deffensive tarantulas at a hazard to his/her own health Regardless of toxicity of venom.

Betty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Malhavoc's Madness: the stampede of 1,785 Arachnopets members to grab freebee tarantulas after Malhavoc is fanged to death while simultaneously handling 100 assorted angry pokies and OBT's.

:D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
get me the tarantula's... and I will Do it as god ordaned me to do.. MWahahahahahaha