T keeping "lull"

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Have you guys ever reached a point/points while partaking in the hobby when you don't really have anything to be excited about for a little while? Or things get stagnant?

For me, it's not so much about being interested and/or passionate (I'm very much both) it's being so low on room and money that I have to take a break from growing my collection. I have an infinite wishlist and it's gonna have to gather dust in my brain for a little while. 😢

Also working on my health is taking some time. So, that's where i'm at folks. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
There's nothing wrong with taking a break.
It gets you back into your old t's.
New spiders are always exciting but the old guys were once the cool kids.
Hit them up. They miss you. Lol

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well... Things do get stagnant, but it doesn't mean it gets less exciting, it just means you need a new way to enjoy them as much as when you first got them. Trust me, I miss the days when I just had 13 T.'s as I had more time to enjoy each of them as individuals. Once you past over 50+ T.'s it becomes more of a hassle or daily chore to care for them individually.

In terms of money and space, money isn't really the issue, but I could certainly use more room. It's getting to the point where I just stack everything on top of each other. I would like to own a small facility for myself in the future to produce and breed more T.'s, but that's a way far fetched dream at the moment.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I've had some short spurts where acquiring more spiders seemed like the be-all and end-all of the hobby, but I really don't think that should be what matters most, or that it's even necessary. Listening to elderly keepers, they always seem to treasure most some of their least exotic spiders, the ones they've had the longest. It's always some plain old Grammostola rosea or Brachypelma hamorii that lived 20+ years that seems to provoke the fondest memories.
Keeping your money and health, taking care of your human life, should be a higher priority. Then the extra explorations will seem more colorful and interesting.
@Asgiliath, I hope you will be happy for a while with what you've got, and that you keep posting here your refreshingly sincere messages. I always appreciate the things you write 🌈

ErikElvis

Newb
I still get a kick out of watching them eat once a week. But I can see how that can fade. I have 10 T’s now and am pretty happy as they are on alternating schedules for molting. So that keeps me excited. But I can see how keeping adult T’s can get a bit blah every once in a while.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
In my case, I never really felt the hobby was boring in any way, but there was a time between November and February where I hit a wall as far as the hobby is concerned. I stated the reason in another thread, but I won't bother stating it again. The good thing is I have recharged my batteries.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
There's nothing wrong with taking a break.
It gets you back into your old t's.
New spiders are always exciting but the old guys were once the cool kids.
Hit them up. They miss you. Lol
I went to water my juvies a few minutes ago and it was reinvigorating!

I've got gorgeous T. vagans, N. coloratovillosus, seemanni (don't need more of those but whatever 🙄) P. met, T albo, OBT and B. hamorii i've been watching grow!!! Last one molted last night :)

Well... Things do get stagnant, but it doesn't mean it gets less exciting, it just means you need a new way to enjoy them as much as when you first got them. Trust me, I miss the days when I just had 13 T.'s as I had more time to enjoy each of them as individuals. Once you past over 50+ T.'s it becomes more of a hassle or daily chore to care for them individually.

In terms of money and space, money isn't really the issue, but I could certainly use more room. It's getting to the point where I just stack everything on top of each other. I would like to own a small facility for myself in the future to produce and breed more T.'s, but that's a way far fetched dream at the moment.
and yes! Weekly maintenance does become more or a "chore" as your collection grows. I always do enjoy it though.

I've had some short spurts where acquiring more spiders seemed like the be-all and end-all of the hobby, but I really don't think that should be what matters most, or that it's even necessary. Listening to elderly keepers, they always seem to treasure most some of their least exotic spiders, the ones they've had the longest. It's always some plain old Grammostola rosea or Brachypelma hamorii that lived 20+ years that seems to provoke the fondest memories.
Keeping your money and health, taking care of your human life, should be a higher priority. Then the extra explorations will seem more colorful and interesting.
@Asgiliath, I hope you will be happy for a while with what you've got, and that you keep posting here your refreshingly sincere messages. I always appreciate the things you write 🌈
Very sweet. Thank you!

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I have yet to get bored of mine, but my collection is under 50 and I have been adding a bit to it. I have a few "hidey" t's so when I see them out on occasion that excites me. I also take a lot of time to plan and design their enclosures so there is always something new about that for me. (a few slings growing out of their tiny places) You could maybe take up the photography aspect of the hobby, maybe really get to know your t's.

Depending on the space issue, you could maybe decorate around your T's as well. I have a few plants I grow on my Tarantula shelves to make it a bit of a jungle.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I have yet to get bored of mine, but my collection is under 50 and I have been adding a bit to it. I have a few "hidey" t's so when I see them out on occasion that excites me. I also take a lot of time to plan and design their enclosures so there is always something new about that for me. (a few slings growing out of their tiny places) You could maybe take up the photography aspect of the hobby, maybe really get to know your t's.

Depending on the space issue, you could maybe decorate around your T's as well. I have a few plants I grow on my Tarantula shelves to make it a bit of a jungle.
Interesting! I use construction type shelves from Home Depot. I have two and arrange the shelves with enough height to stack enclosures. If that makes sense. I'd kind of like to decorate the wall around them. Start a molt cork board maybe 🤔

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Interesting! I use construction type shelves from Home Depot. I have two and arrange the shelves with enough height to stack enclosures. If that makes sense. I'd kind of like to decorate the wall around them. Start a molt cork board maybe 🤔
Ooo, I am planning on doing Molt art. I started to collect some. I have a shadow box I am going to put them in and gift it to my dad.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Oh yes, those shelves. I was thinking I would get some of those and wrap one of the silk flower style vines i got from Michael's around it and then one of my pothos on top and let it creep down.
Sounds aesthetically pleasing! 😉

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
I just started keeping Ts. I learned that keeping Ts is a laid back hobby. I started with a juve 2” klaasi. Then I added a 3” gbb and 1.25 emilia sling. I was pretty bored with only one since not much to do and see as the klaasi kept burrowing. At least I found an excuse to add some Ts to my collection.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I have mine just above my desk, it’s like living wallpaper which is fun to watch.

I hear ya on space. I have one corner so I spend a lot of time fantasizing about what that space could become, other than a growing collection of enclosure projects and organizing all the supplies that have mounted up in boxes in the corner of the room. If you ever get bored I could use some help 😂
ED057FE7-85C1-43AF-843E-CAF17A573D19.jpeg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you guys ever reached a point/points while partaking in the hobby when you don't really have anything to be excited about for a little while? Or things get stagnant?

For me, it's not so much about being interested and/or passionate (I'm very much both) it's being so low on room and money that I have to take a break from growing my collection. I have an infinite wishlist and it's gonna have to gather dust in my brain for a little while. 😢

Also working on my health is taking some time. So, that's where i'm at folks. 🤷‍♀️
I’m going to help you. And trust me, I don’t take this lightly.

PM me, I’ll provide my address so you can send your Ts to me so you have more space.

It’s the least I can do for the cause.

Craig73

Arachnoangel

PM me, I’ll provide my address so you can send your Ts to me so you have more space.

A true gentleman and scholar, I knew there was something about you that was different. 🤪

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +

Ah, ever selfless!

Ah Lee

Arachnosquire
Things do get stagnant once in a while for me, after it happens when you are keeping "pet holes". Once in a while I see one of them wander out, say hi, and disappear, and that's it.

Sometimes I go on hikes and if I find something interesting, I catch it and bring it home. Sometimes stuff like mantids, orbweavers, centipedes, jumping spiders, etc can be interesting simply because they are so much more active than T's. Many of them are not very long-lived either, so it's not a long-term commitment. And it's free!