T/invert enclosure idea

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
is cacti safe for a t? i mean i know some come from climates where cactus is common but idk if id want sharp pointy needles around a freshly molted t:eek:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That enclosure would be perfect if all that was in it were substrate. Everything in there could be hazardous for your spider. That cactus would be certain death if the needles are sharp and your spider climbs and falls. The cactus and the other hard objects could rupture your spiders abdomen or injure it. I would recommend taking everything out of there aside from a waterdish and a hide.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More of a concern then the cactus is the cake enclosure itself. these things arent secure at all, and if a t' feels like it (and is big enough) will push the top open, or puncture the black soft plastic and escape if its realllly crafty.

However, i dont mind rocks in the enclosure for t's as long as the dirt isn't too low. Spiders totally don't encounter rocks in the wild do they?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well an escaped T is better than a dead one IMO. But I agree that if it is a large enough spider, there is a possibility of it pushing the top up enough to escape.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spiders totally don't encounter rocks in the wild do they?
I'm not aware of anyplace in the world that doesn't have rocks. Some Ts construct their burrows between rocks. Larger rocks be risky in a captive set up, depending on the set up and the spider.

I had a layer of pea gravel under several inches of substrate for my OBT. It has chosen to dig much of the gravel up and incorporate it into its web maze.

Escape is a very real possibility. Packing tape will help insure the lid doesn't get pushed off by an errant T. I would also be concerned with the cactus, whether real or fake, as a source of injury.

My OBT lives in a candy 'urn' (secured with packing tape). GBB in a former cashew container. B. smithi in a date container. And I have large pretzel containers waiting for some of the Ts to grow into them. :)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
these things arent secure at all, and if a t' feels like it (and is big enough) will push the top open, or puncture the black soft plastic and escape if its realllly crafty.

However, i dont mind rocks in the enclosure for t's as long as the dirt isn't too low. Spiders totally don't encounter rocks in the wild do they?
Yeah. Would probably be okay for a dwarf tarantula spderling or a true spider but larger tarantulas are pretty strong.

I do rocks but ONLY if they are secured to something; like glued tight to a wall. Sure, they encounter rocks in the wild. Some wild tarantulas probably even get crushed for digging under a loose rock.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
those cake containers are pretty secure if they aren't abused. I already use those for my scorps. the cactus is my only worry for that setup.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the rock isnt a concern at all ... i had a large flater river rock in one of my enclosures and he LOVED it.. it was always slightly warmer and he (parahybana) would always stretch out and lightly web all over it........ still concerned with the cacti

Shorty

Arachnopeon
well the cactus is fake and im housing an H. spadix in there so would do you guys think. also when my scorp gest begger cuz hes so tiny ill secure the lid. but really im just testing this out i have plenty of other unused enclosoures.

Shorty

Arachnopeon
well i took out the cactus. not sure if you can tell but heres a pic of the little guy.

Attachments

xStainD

Arachnopeon
More of a concern then the cactus is the cake enclosure itself. these things arent secure at all, and if a t' feels like it (and is big enough) will push the top open, or puncture the black soft plastic and escape if its realllly crafty.

Just because they encounter them in the wild doesn't mean they should be in our enclosures. The beauty of keeping captive animals is that we can remove any possible dangers they would face in the wild. T's come across other T's in the wild, but I doubt you would co-hab 2 Brachy's.

I'm not saying rocks and such shouldn't be used for aesthetic purposes, if done so safely, just thought I'd offer a different perspective.