T in bare tank?

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is your thoughts on keeping a heavy webbing T in a bare container to see what kind of webbing it will do. Has anyone done this? Any positives or nagatives to this?

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have seen a thread here before where someone did do that. . .the T (i cant remember which one it was) did actually construct some pretty heavy webbing but IMO its not really the best thing to do. . .if u want to keep your T happy then give it the enviroment n conditions it needs to thrive. . .if its a heavy webber it will web everywhere anyway

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking that it would be cool to see what the webs looked like w/ out the substrate mixed in the web and what they would do with out it or cage furnishings in there.
Do you remember the thread title? I ran a quick search and didnt find anything. I may not have used the correct wording in my search.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
an obt or a gbb would fit the bill. i saw am obt at a lps once that had very little substrate and had made an incredible tent-like web structure.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry i do not recall the title :( but i do own a GBB myself and he makes a huge amount of web, and none of it gets into his web. . .its actually very clean. . .i wish i cud remember the thread title for u. . it might have had something to do with tank set ups or display cubes. . .i honestly cant remember but i do recall seeing the pics which were heavily webbed

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
could probably, but wouldn't

IMO< Life in a cage is enough to ask. You probably could. But why would you? It would have to be kinda bad for it. I would think it would be more confused than with a ground it can see AND touch. Don't really know, and don't really want to either though. GBB web like crazy, I just had 1 molt, other is on the way. I gave them coco, rocks and cork bark and they are doing well so far. Good luck, ryan

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would think it would be stressful for it to not have any substrate.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Potential problems:
- Difficult to maintain appropriate humidity unless it is a REALLY dry loving species
- Animal can not express burrowing behavior, climbing behavior will be limited to the surfaces of the container
- Terrestrials need substrate up to the near-top of a container to prevent injuries in falls unless the container is practically their height
- Stress from exposure until webbing is sufficient; these are dark-loving, reclusive animals that respond poorly to being exposed
- If a moist-loving species, water will pool all over the bottom of the tank every time you mist, which may lead to a nasty pool of stagnant water that is hard to clean out due to the webbing.

Potential benefits:
- You can see the webbing structure... which you can already see pretty well in a tank.

I would say that it is not worth it.

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i fully agree with roachgirl.

its really unnecessary to subject the T to these kind of stress.

even with the substrate, the webbing will be very much visible with heavy webbers like gbb and obt.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A post by warpig on keeping avics shows one of his juvis in a tall tank with a very small amount of substrate in it. It basically fits what's being talked about here, the T purely webbed up the top half.

See the linky here, scroll down to the pic of his series of enclosures

Looky Here

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I once kept a juvenile obt in a bare KK. Funny fact, it made some kind of thick mattress, like 4X6x0.5 inches and it flipped up a corner, crawled underneath and brought the corner back on itself, the very same way I snuggle under my sheets in a cold winter night!!!

ORO

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could use an OBT with a narrower glass tank, a good size plain glass vase, you would still have some substrate but it would funnel web the glass in all around if the right size, and still be fairly comfortable for the T, this should provide a great view of allot of webbing.

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well even an arboreal t can fall and die. i wouldn't risk it. arboreal t's should have room to make a web and everything but what if they fall? they would have nothing to cushion them.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A post by warpig on keeping avics shows one of his juvis in a tall tank with a very small amount of substrate in it. It basically fits what's being talked about here, the T purely webbed up the top half.

See the linky here, scroll down to the pic of his series of enclosures

Looky Here
He also recommends against doing it.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah very true, I just thought if people wanted to see what i looked like that would be a good pic before they go and do it themselves and are then disappointed :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tarantulas are very adaptable. Most species (like any animal) will do what they can with what they have because they have an instinct to survive. Just because an OBT or an Avic can live in a rusty coffee can doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep it in one.

OBT's in particular are very hardy and will adapt to whatever they can but they'd certainly prefer somewhere to hide and some substrate and debris to make their home with. Provided with food and water a human could spend his entire life in an empty garage but they wouldn't exactly be comfortable there.