T Housing Question

Safealpaca

Arachnopeon
I am planning on purchasing an l. parahybana, and I have a wooden enclosure (sealed to keep out moisture) with sliding glass doors in the front. It has two vents in the back, about four inches in diameter.

There's no problem with the dimensions; I've done my homework, and all of that checks out. My question is: what should I do to keep the proper humidity/should I be concerned about ventilation?

cold blood

Staff member
pics!!!

how big is the LP you plan to buy??

Generally front doors=arboreal as the front door prevents enough sub from being put in.

Safealpaca

Arachnopeon
pics!!!

how big is the LP you plan to buy??

Generally front doors=arboreal as the front door prevents enough sub from being put in.
Can't get pics at the moment; it is buried under a mountain of old stuff. There is a piece of wood at the bottom of the sliding doors that should allow for at least three inches of substrate.

I'm planning on buying the LP at an inch and using a series of smaller enclosures working up to the wooden tank.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I'd be most worried about the what the wood has been treated with.

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
I would be worried about my Lp running out the front door- she's a touch skittish. If it's wood you can drill vent holes in the sides. I would think if this is an old enclosure that any chemicals should have off-gassed by now. Would like to see a picture, though.

Safealpaca

Arachnopeon
I'll post pictures as soon as I can find the motivation to dig the thing out XD

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I am planning on purchasing an l. parahybana, and I have a wooden enclosure (sealed to keep out moisture) with sliding glass doors in the front. It has two vents in the back, about four inches in diameter.

There's no problem with the dimensions; I've done my homework, and all of that checks out. My question is: what should I do to keep the proper humidity/should I be concerned about ventilation?
I purchased an l.parahybana, got at combo thermometer and humidity gauge combo pack this past weekend at petco to stick in her little starter home. Petco is going to start selling Ts so encouraging to know I can get supplies there.
If the specimen your getting is not very big you don't need a lot to start with. All I got for my girl was a critter crate, subturate, a small water dish and the gauges. Have just to get her food and something to hide in.

Safealpaca

Arachnopeon
I would be worried about my Lp running out the front door- she's a touch skittish. If it's wood you can drill vent holes in the sides. I would think if this is an old enclosure that any chemicals should have off-gassed by now. Would like to see a picture, though.
16''x16''x32'', Has a bulb for heat and another for UVA/UVB

Attachments

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Going to get a 20 gallon tank for my girl when she gets bigger. The Critter Keeper is just her starter place.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I would stick with lizards with that cage. It's not really suitable for a T in my opinion. You wouldn't be able to get much substrate depth with those doors & the light bulb isn't something you would ever want to use.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I wouldn't use that enclosure for Ts. It's appropriate for reptiles only. Try to keep things more simple with tarantulas. Terrestrials need deep substrate. What will most likely happen is you'll add substrate up to the bottom lip, and the T will bulldoze it into a huge pile against the glass, which will clog up the track for your sliding doors.

user 666

Arachnobaron
That is a snake enclosure, and as the previous commenters have said it is not suitable ofr a T.

It's not tall enough for an arboreal or deep enough for a fossorial. So the only thing you can put in it is a large mature terrestrial, and sometimes those species decide they like to dig.

It really isn't suitable for a T.

cold blood

Staff member
I purchased an l.parahybana, got at combo thermometer and humidity gauge combo pack this past weekend at petco to stick in her little starter home. Petco is going to start selling Ts so encouraging to know I can get supplies there.
If the specimen your getting is not very big you don't need a lot to start with. All I got for my girl was a critter crate, subturate, a small water dish and the gauges. Have just to get her food and something to hide in.
Lol, take the gauges back or toss them...theyre useless...in fact, they're worse than useless as they are more likely to cause problems than solve them.

Petco is also not the best place to rely on for ts.

I got an XL critter keeper
Yeah a 1" t will walk out of the very smallest KK....an XL is not appropriate for a 1" sling. Way way way too big.

A 16oz deli cup is the route you should go. (pictured is an example)

1. A bulb is not a way to warm a tarantula, just that being there is the dead giveaway that you have a reptile enclosure.

2. I wouldn't house a terrestrial in there under any circumstances, its just not appropriate unless you lay it on its back and use the door as the top....only then could you add enough sub to a. make it a good home and b. make it a safe home.

3. a t has zero lighting requirements.

Attachments

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
There is actually a gal at the Duluth Petco who keeps Ts and orders custom made T enclosures for customers. I actually talked to her about all my enclosures and watched several videos of other keepers who use CKs. She assured me that my plan to move my l.parahybana into a bigger enclosure when larger is fine.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There is actually a gal at the Duluth Petco who keeps Ts and orders custom made T enclosures for customers. I actually talked to her about all my enclosures and watched several videos of other keepers who use CKs. She assured me that my plan to move my l.parahybana into a bigger enclosure when larger is fine.
Do you have a link to her videos?
If she advised you to get all that stuff, I wonder how she keeps hers.
A one inch L.parahybana can easily escape through the vents of a KK. If the carapace fits, everything fits.
Take a look at the videos i posted in this thread:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/quick-question-just-curious.291397/#post-2589072

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not at 1". There was a thread likeb yesterday or something with some one who lost a G pulcripes in a KK. Better safe than sorry.