T hazards?

Sidi

Arachnopeon
My new T sling is living in my bedroom, was just wondering if things like scented candles, spraying deodorant or things of that sort being sprayed in the room could be hazardous?

Lolita

Arachnoknight
thats actually a good question i never considered scented candles as a possibility of harming T's

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I remember reading a post awhile back were some people believed candles and such could cause problems for ts.

Matt

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As long as you make sure your t's enclosure stays clean, he shouldn't need deodorant. The candle is a big no-no though. It could burn him.

{D

All kidding aside, I doubt the candle would be a problem unless you had it right by the tarantula. But if you are really concerned about it, you might consider using a candle warmer. It is a heat plate that you set your jarred candle on and it melts it form the bottom, so there is no flame. You will get the odor, it will last longer and not create creosote which is a fire hazard if it builds up in the exact same place long enough.

As far as the deodorant, why are you still using spray? Gel deodorant is the best. But if you insist on using the spray, just keep it in the bathroom and use it right after you dry your pits.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
As long as you make sure your t's enclosure stays clean, he shouldn't need deodorant. The candle is a big no-no though. It could burn him.

{D

All kidding aside, I doubt the candle would be a problem unless you had it right by the tarantula. But if you are really concerned about it, you might consider using a candle warmer. It is a heat plate that you set your jarred candle on and it melts it form the bottom, so there is no flame. You will get the odor, it will last longer and not create creosote which is a fire hazard if it builds up in the exact same place long enough.

As far as the deodorant, why are you still using spray? Gel deodorant is the best. But if you insist on using the spray, just keep it in the bathroom and use it right after you dry your pits.
thanks for the candle issues being a girl i have a ton of candles and never thought about it and i think the OP was referring to deodorants like room sprays like the airosol cans that smell like flowers and stuff

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i think the OP was referring to deodorants like room sprays like the airosol cans that smell like flowers and stuff
Oh, lol, I always refered to those as Air Fresheners. Well, as far as those go, I really like original febreze and I've always just sprayed that stuff onto furnature.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dont use deodorants, air fresheners and such in the room my tarantulas are kept in just in case. I always find prevention is better than cure.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
mine are kept in an air restricted micro-climate... they aren't affected by my air freshener, colgne, etc.

They get thier 80 degree & 80% humidity. I get my 65 degrees :}

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
mine are kept in an air restricted micro-climate... they aren't affected by my air freshener, colgne, etc.

They get thier 80 degree & 80% humidity. I get my 65 degrees :}
Do you have a separately sealed room, or what? Do you have pics of how it's set up?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Do you have a separately sealed room, or what? Do you have pics of how it's set up?
Mine is a 10 gallon aquarium... b/c when I got back in the back I went for slings instead. TarantulaHero has the same setup as me, though. In fact, I tweaked mine after seeing his intructional video.

[YOUTUBE]C2Oqlm_S9x4[/YOUTUBE]

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any froo froo smelly stuff is hazardous to me and my sinuses, so I assume it is hazardous to my Ts as well... :)