T handling

AaronT

Arachnopeon
Is this a silly question

Hi all, i am a novice starting in the world of tarantulas. I have purchased a Chilean rose as i have been informed they are one of the more dosile of the species and easiest to handle. I have looked at the begginers guide and am still somewhat weary of handling her. Even in the handling post I have come to the conclusion that most owners dont handle their tarantulas but i am fully intent on handling my spider. I would just like to know a little more about the reaction of the Chilean rose to handling (. I am more worried about the well being of the spider than that of my own).Also the pet store that i bought it in offered advice somewhat different than in the forums. Alot infact.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Aaron.

Last edited:

AaronT

Arachnopeon
Please help guys and gals, i wouldn't like doom as a faith for my spider

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My advice is to ignore any/all information from your local pet store that you cannot verify on the forums. This applies to ANYTHING ALIVE that they may sell you. As far as handling goes: Your #1 concern is your T. Falling can rupture her and kill her. Initial handling attempts should be made close to a soft surface, in a room without a lot of tight hiding spacs. Frankly, I do not handle my T's, but I would suggest you close the bathroom drain, put a pillow in it and kneel over it and allow your T to roam there. Even G. rosea's can defend their territory, so removing her from her territory is recommended. Keep her close to the pillow for the first few times so YOU get used to her.
Your #2 concern is losing her. Keep something (delicup or half of a milkjug with the screwcap end and cap attached) and a bit of cardboard to provide a barrier in case she makes a run for it. Once again, trapping her without harming her should be your most important thought. Good luck.

AaronT

Arachnopeon
tnx for you sound advice dianedfisher, my main concern is that of the spider, this sound advice would seem to keep it out of danger, i will practice this technique and see how it goes, i have got some similar advice from another post, cheers again for the info, will keep you posted...

Aaron....

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Its a blast. But always remember to keep the safety of the spider as utmost importance.

One thing about rosea is their unpredictable nature, some can be quite defensive, and hard for a beginner to hold, some are absolute 'sweethearts'.

Sit down on a bed with the cage, open the lid, and prod her just a bit, see how apprehensive or defensive she is. If she seems calm enough, just prod her onto your hand, and keep your hand just above the bed. So if she falls, she won't be hurt. You'll be used to it in no time. And always remember to be careful of the urticating hairs.

-Sean

AaronT

Arachnopeon
tnx for the reply sean, again this is very helpful info from another source. it seems it is very tolerent of me so i will practice the above procedures... Again i am more worried about the spider. If I do handle the spider and it gets startled should i expect a bite, urticating hairs or a quick get away, Or is this again dow n to the spiders personality I believe it is a new world t

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the advice you have alwready recived is perfect so i wont repeat what others have said. one thing to understand is that you are MUCH more likely to be bittin when you are initaly taking the T out of its encloshure. a good way to start handling is by using a pair of tongs to gentaly scoot the spider onto your hand. that way you can judge weather or not the spider is going to be defencive right off the bat.

good luck man and welcome to the hobby.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
tnx for the reply sean, again this is very helpful info from another source. it seems it is very tolerent of me so i will practice the above procedures... Again i am more worried about the spider. If I do handle the spider and it gets startled should i expect a bite, urticating hairs or a quick get away, Or is this again dow n to the spiders personality I believe it is a new world t
If it gets startled it will likely throw some hairs at you, but just be calm and it should go just fine. I also handle my rosie and she is very calm. Just follow the good advice you alreay have got. And remember to write in here again and tell us how it goes;)

Last edited:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some can be very nasty and so i NEVER hold any of my ( T ) :8o :8o ~~~~ PHIL

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When putting your hand in the aquarium, place it in front of the T, touch her back legs, that should make her move. If she gives you a defensive pose, try another day. When she touches your hand, she'll decide if she wants to go adventuring. You can also let her climb the glass by nudging her, put your hand where the glass ends, once again, she'll decide if she wants to go once she touches your hand. My g rosea uses that method best, because she knows she can adventure out.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When putting your hand in the aquarium, place it in front of the T, touch her back legs, that should make her move. If she gives you a defensive pose, try another day. When she touches your hand, she'll decide if she wants to go adventuring. You can also let her climb the glass by nudging her, put your hand where the glass ends, once again, she'll decide if she wants to go once she touches your hand. My g rosea uses that method best, because she knows she can adventure out.
b/u mine

one BIG note here... don't do the "touch her back legs" thing with your other hand... do it with a paint brush or chop stick or something that *isn't* you. sometimes tarantulas react to the leg touch by whipping around biting. i *think* this is typical of tarantulas that are fed by having a cricket or whatever dropped on or RIGHT by them. i have taken to calling it mistaken prey agression response :)

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
in my experience dont force your T to do anything its dosent want to this is when they start getting stressed