T had really bad molt, fang is broken, most of its legs stuck. After operation wondering how to keep alive

HajoCave

Arachnopeon
IMG_20220112_173953.jpg
(pictures included)
As in the title says, my X. imannis had a really bad molt. Most of its legs were stuck, and its abdomen was also still fully covered. After half a day, I decided to intervene. I put it on a paper towel and started to help it get out of its molt. First with a soft brush I removed the layer of skin on its abdomen, it went fairly smoothly. There is only a bit of tissue left underneath, but that doesn't do any harm because the anus is clear. After that I went on to the legs, I was not able to pull out the legs that were stuck, so I decided to cut between them to make it able to move its legs freely with the old tissue still on them. At last I tried to remove as much access molt as possible, for instance its old fangs and underside of the carapace. I also noticed that one of its fangs had a dent in it, so I think it is broken. Not really sure if it happened during or before my intervention. I put it back in a moist enclosure with a close watercup because I don't know what else I can do but hope.

The top picture show to T after I freed it of its molt as much as possible.
Bottom pictures show the T before.

Does anyone have any tips on how to feed it and keep it alive? Any other tips in general are also appreciated.
I am fairly new to keeping tarantula's(about a year) though I now have a communal and 4 separate Slings.

IMG_20220112_173953.jpg IMG_20220112_173303.jpg IMG_20220112_165327.jpg IMG_20220112_165319.jpg

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I would try to offer dead or chilled (cricket in the refrigerator - that makes them slow and easy prey) food. If the animal eats, there is a good chance that the next molt will improve.

Last edited:

HajoCave

Arachnopeon
I would try to offer dead or chilled (cricket in the refrigerator - that makes them slow and easy prey) food. If the animal is, there is a good chance that the next molt will improve.
But would it be able to move to it when all of its front legs are still stuck? I will still have to wait until he hardens up, because it only happened today

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Of course you have to wait till its ready for food. Three days should be enough at this stage...

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Read this thread. Maybe you will be able to pick up some tips and motivation in it:

magouilles

Arachnoknight
only thing you can do now is feed it easy to catch preys and water as normal
i pray for your lil guy, is he able to move?

HajoCave

Arachnopeon
Of course you have to wait till its ready for food. Three days should be enough at this stage...
Thanks for the reply
I looked at the thread and saw they were talking about keeping the book lungs free on the underside of the T. I've been looking for a bit but cant seem to find anything. Any idea on what that might be? Because there is still a bit of skin left on the underside of the abdomen so I fear that it maybe be covering those 'book lungs'

only thing you can do now is feed it easy to catch preys and water as normal
i pray for your lil guy, is he able to move?
Thanks, it had moved the 2 back legs that are free of the molt. The other legs I think may have moved a bit but not sure. In general he is not able to really walk or anything like that sadly enough

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the reply
I looked at the thread and saw they were talking about keeping the book lungs free on the underside of the T. I've been looking for a bit but cant seem to find anything. Any idea on what that might be? Because there is still a bit of skin left on the underside of the abdomen so I fear that it maybe be covering those 'book lungs'
book lungs are the two paler "circles" under the abdomen, just above the epigastric furrow
they're on both sides of the abdomen's underside
you can check photos for a better idea

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Thanks, it had moved the 2 back legs that are free of the molt. The other legs I think may have moved a bit but not sure. In general he is not able to really walk or anything like that sadly enough
if it can move a bit, there's hope he will be able to eat
i've had spiders recovering from a really bad molt, 4 back legs stuck and the back of the abdomen, there's still hope! keep us updated

...just look here: enough book lungs!
yup way easier
and here i am, making a full description👁👄👁

HajoCave

Arachnopeon
book lungs are the two paler "circles" under the abdomen, just above the epigastric furrow
they're on both sides of the abdomen's underside
you can check photos for a better idea
I couldt find it cause i made a typo:p Anyways I found that the last pieces of skin on the abdoman were stuck directly on those book lungs so I decided to once again try and remove as much skin from the book lungs as possible, I think it went quite well. It was probably harder to get that skin off because of those book lungs. Not everything is gone tho because I fear to rip its abdoman, but it ought to be enough.

...just look here: enough book lungs!
Thanks for the reply, I found them!

ResinBomb

Arachnopeon
Did you try removing stuck molt skin with warm water and a q-tip? You can also try a small storage tote with moist paper towels and a water dish for a few days.

HajoCave

Arachnopeon
I am saddened to tell that he died. I tried what I could but it was of no avail. Thanks very much for the quick responses and helpful comments.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I am saddened to tell that he died. I tried what I could but it was of no avail. Thanks very much for the quick responses and helpful comments.
Sorry for your loss 😢 you seemed like you tried to go above and beyond to help it. Sometimes things like this happen, the circle of life ☯

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Awww, sorry to hear that. Just know that you did the best you could to save it, sometimes bad molts just happen and there's not much we can do about it. Don't be afraid to try again in the future, when you feel ready.