T griding fangs against my skin?

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T grinding fangs against my skin?

I picked up my Rosie sling today to check him out, he hasn't been eating this summer at all and he hasn't darkened into premolt. He was cool about it as usual just walking around, when i felt something weird. I looked down and saw him stop, flex his fangs, grind the longer part against my skin (get your minds out of the gutter! {D) and then retract them and just walk along only to do it again. For safety measures I put him back into his tank.
Any reason why he would do this? He didn't kick hairs, no bite barks, no irritation, nothing.

Last edited:

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah he probably just wasn't able too because he was probably too small.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
According to the TKG, there are instances where a T will use it's fangs to crawl or help it keep balance.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I picked up my Rosie sling today to check him out, he hasn't been eating this summer at all and he hasn't darkened into premolt. He was cool about it as usual just walking around, when i felt something weird. I looked down and saw him stop, flex his fangs, grind the longer part against my skin (get your minds out of the gutter! {D) and then retract them and just walk along only to do it again. For safety measures I put him back into his tank.
Any reason why he would do this? He didn't kick hairs, no bite barks, no irritation, nothing.
What do you mean by this? What is the "longer part?"

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was confused by "the longer part" as well.
Isn't the fang just one long..... Fang.
But I've seen my rosie do it before, not on skin, but on plastic or wood.

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Longer part, as in the whole length of the fang, not the tips so it could penetrate my skin.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Were your hands wet or moist?
Some of my spiders drink that way on their webs/enclosure walls if they get wet.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
May have been a warning, my female B.albopilosum did this to me once although she just rested her fangs on my index finger, for a moment I thought she might have a nip at me although she just walked onto my hand all chilled

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Avic has done that to me in it's attempts to remain balanced on my hand, if that helps at all. I think it's when they aren't comfortable with their footing completely and feel the need to lower out and get a good grasp of things. Hope that helps.