T displays threat posture to cricket?

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
My G. rosea just showed a threat display to a cricket i put in her enclosure. It was an ok sized cricket (she eats bigger with no trouble) the cricket touched her and boom! Legs up fangs out, as soon as the cricket went the other way i pulled it out, any ideas as to what might be happening? I dont think she is in premolt because she looks like she always has (no shinny abdomen or anything) and last time she ate was a month ago (cricket and a half) she is as big as a fair sized human palm and she is usually the most calm little spider you can find

Bugmom

Arachnolord
The cricket probably startled her. I bet if you put it back in, she eats it within a day. If she doesn't, then pull it out. But at least give it a day.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
The cricket probably startled her. I bet if you put it back in, she eats it within a day. If she doesn't, then pull it out. But at least give it a day.
I was thinking of doing that, but she usually pounces on crickets even before they get near her, so thats why this behavior is a little confusing. I think I will try again in a week because I dont want to scare her more right now. But next time i'll leave the cricket over night

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My G. rosea hasn't eaten since I got her about a year ago. Exact same behavior you're explaining. These spiders are infamous for long fasts, get used to it! I offer food about once per month. Just keep a full, clean water dish and that's all.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Besides being able to stop eating for a long time, G.rosea/porteri are also known to have sudden mood/temperament changes, without a visible (to us at least) cause. So it might have been that she just wasn't in the mood for any disturbances.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If it throws a threat posture to a prey item then its not hungry.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I know you said you're pretty sure she isn't in premolt, but this is how my G. porteri behaves when she's in premolt, even before other signs are visible. Could definitely be a fast, as others have said, but might also be beginning stages of premolt. In either case, sounds like a T being a T and a keeper having to wait and see. :)

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
I know you said you're pretty sure she isn't in premolt, but this is how my G. porteri behaves when she's in premolt, even before other signs are visible. Could definitely be a fast, as others have said, but might also be beginning stages of premolt. In either case, sounds like a T being a T and a keeper having to wait and see. :)
Hopefully it is a premolt, that way i can try and find out if she is actually a female (her name is bella so i think i would have to rename her if it ends up being a male) but youre right, im a keeper who has to wait and see

Estein

Arachnoknight
Hopefully it is a premolt, that way i can try and find out if she is actually a female (her name is bella so i think i would have to rename her if it ends up being a male) but youre right, im a keeper who has to wait and see
Waiting is the most frustrating part. I have a sling in heavy premolt right now and keep having dreams about it molting, and then I get bummed when I wake up and it hasn't. :rofl: Good luck!

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Waiting is the most frustrating part. I have a sling in heavy premolt right now and keep having dreams about it molting, and then I get bummed when I wake up and it hasn't. :rofl: Good luck!
Oh thank god im not the only one that has that problem lol im always dreaming that my T and my M. giganteus molt. And now that u mention slings, how fast do they grow? As in, how often do you have to move them to larger enclosures/vials?

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Oh thank god im not the only one that has that problem lol im always dreaming that my T and my M. giganteus molt. And now that u mention slings, how fast do they grow? As in, how often do you have to move them to larger enclosures/vials?
Growth rate depends a lot on species, how warm they're kept, and how often they're fed so it can't really be answered in a general way. But G. rosea if you're curious - sloooooow slowslowslow. I got my sling at 1/2" about two years ago and it's still only like the size of a quarter. Super long long life span too so if it turns out to be a female she could still be kicking around when I'm an old lady.

And for me, I usually move my slings 3 or 4 times I think, with the last being their adult cage.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Growth rate depends a lot on species, how warm they're kept, and how often they're fed so it can't really be answered in a general way. But G. rosea if you're curious - sloooooow slowslowslow. I got my sling at 1/2" about two years ago and it's still only like the size of a quarter. Super long long life span too so if it turns out to be a female she could still be kicking around when I'm an old lady.

And for me, I usually move my slings 3 or 4 times I think, with the last being their adult cage.
Im thinking of getting a B. smithi sling, do you consider it to be hard to care for slings? Im just nervous bc if i get one and it dies because of me being dumb I would feel so guilty

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Im thinking of getting a B. smithi sling, do you consider it to be hard to care for slings? Im just nervous bc if i get one and it dies because of me being dumb I would feel so guilty
Brachy's are pretty hardy, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are very easy to care for and quite hardy. As for you feeling dumb etc, to help prevent a death the best thing you can do is red A LOT on the forum, esp the older posts. The more you read the less likely your T will die you in your care. If you don't read all that much, well you may end up guilty.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The cricket probably just startled it. Throw the cricket in there on the opposite side of the enclosure and let it wander towards her. If it is uneaten after a few hours then remove it and try again next month.