T."burgandy" death

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i went to check on T. "blondi" or whatever it is, to it find it, dead, it was just a juvi around 2 inches.. it was alive and well 2-3 days ago.

upon inspection it was in not in death curl, just lack of movement, i picked it up, and she/he was limp. i discovered a large amount of fecal smear across the ventral section of the abdomen and around the spinnerets.

there is a strong smell associated to the spider, the best i can compare it to is rotting wood.

im going to place it in ICU for a day or two just in case although i beleive it may be already dead, but who knows.

i had proper ventilation, humidity, and access to water.

the only thing i can think of it might of died because of room temperature, it was 40 degrees the other night i forgot to shut the windows.

im not going to post pics i lack the devices to do so at the moment.
well it sucks when one of these spiders dies, thats a lot of money down the drain, well next time ill just buy a juvie instead of a sling,
thanks for listening to my rant.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really sorry to hear that.
For a theraphosa sling , a couple of hours at 40F is pretty much death sentence.

JuiceboxBiotch

Arachnopeon
A friend of mine had repeated failures with juvie T. Blondis. After watching him lose about 4 in a row and trying so hard to make perfect conditions, I decided not to ever even try with that spider unless I can get my hands on a young adult.

Sorry to hear about that man.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well thanks for the support, i find it unusual that this was the only T affected by the cold temperatures, oh well. after the military ill try with a sling again until then its juvies and sub adults..

thank for listening.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The one Theraphosa species I kept 3 years ago died similarly; no death curl, just limp. I brought it home from a show and it was dead the next day. There was a distinct, unpleasantly sweet smell associated with it. I'm wondering if it was exposed to high temperatures at some point since it was summer when I bought it.

It was 3". There's too much opportunity for loss here, and they're far too expensive for my tastes with their fragility.