T.Blondi

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi

i have recently bought a new tank and split it into 2 sections and i am hoping to get a theraphosa blondi.

today i went into a petshop and the man brought one out to show me but on the tank it said Goliath Baboon (Theraphosa Leblondi) i have never heared them called golaith baboon and never seen leblondi (usually blondi) is this a goliath birdeater or has there been a mixup.

also anyone recommend a T.Blondi ? :D
what are they like to feed/raise?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have never heard of them being called goliath baboon, as baboon spiders refer to African species, not South American ones, as far as I know. I do recall hearing of them being called theraphosa leblondi though, but I don't know the whole story about the nomenclature.

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
maby take a look at the abdomen see if it has any missing hair and take a look at all the pics of goliath birdeaters on the boards here to give a good idea on what they look like and maby you,ll be able to tell if it is a goliath birdeater or not

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
anybody from the UK got any rough ideas of how much a definate female would be (as small as possible)?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi they got the name wrong it is NOT a BABOON :wall: its THERAPHOSA BLONDI can flick hairs :eek: and can be aggressive some times i had one a female with a 8ins leg span so they do get VERY big :eek: she was not to bad to keep just be careful working in the tank ;) === phil

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've heard blondis referred to as leblondi. I think it was changed. I wouldn't put any T, particularly one as strong as a blondi in a separated tank though.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I wouldn't put any T, particularly one as strong as a blondi in a separated tank though.
Dito. Even its smaller cousins have often enough proven that they can "get arround" most deviders if they put their legs into it and with a blondi it feels like an accident would always be just about to happen.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
doesnt lebondi refer to the familyname of the researcher that the spider is named after.. leblond? would like to know for sure too

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can remember about 15 years ago, the name for these was leblondi. I don't know when the change occured but I do remember the old name quite well. At the time Rosies were Grammostola spatulata I think and B. smithi was Euathlus smithi. I was out of it for maybe ten or twelve years and when I got back into it, all the names had changed! What a difference a few years makes huh.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol the seperated tank is seperated using glass fixed with the silicone used to keep all aquariums together....its not just something wedged in the tank to split it into 2.

also are they active? i have a brachypelma smithi and i see her all the time but my friend has a king baboon (i think) and he NEVER sees it lol

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol the seperated tank is seperated using glass fixed with the silicone used to keep all aquariums together....its not just something wedged in the tank to split it into 2.

also are they active? i have a brachypelma smithi and i see her all the time but my friend has a king baboon (i think) and he NEVER sees it lol
What type of lid do you use? Is there any chance of a T squeezing between it and the glass divide?
My 2 Blondi's ( 8.5 inch and 3 inch ) are currently in their respective hides/burrows. They come out when it suits. They can be active but not reknowned as such. I also have a Smithi who likes the open, my Crawshayi/Lividum are secretive but the Blondi's are sort of in between.
You can get a juvenile Blondi for £25 but have to take a chance on the gender.
:D

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no there is no chance of the spider squeezing through to the next tank even the grasshoppers cant fit through.

i asked in the pet shop and they are selling an unsexed one for £75 and a definate female for around £90 because they say they cant be sexed untill they are mature...

how big must they be before you can possibly sex them using a moult?

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no there is no chance of the spider squeezing through to the next tank even the grasshoppers cant fit through.

i asked in the pet shop and they are selling an unsexed one for £75 and a definate female for around £90 because they say they cant be sexed untill they are mature...

how big must they be before you can possibly sex them using a moult?

As far as I know you can sex Blondi's from the exvium a long time before they are mature.
My 3 inch Blondi is just over a year and I am 90% sure she is a lady.
My 8.5 inch male is a sub-adult and is at least a few moults from maturity.
Usually a photo of the Epiandrous fusillae , if good quality, will be sufficient for ID.
The problem with the moulted skin is that the Blondi usually eats the fusillae immediately after the process.
It's fangs are soft and this is about the only thing it can eat without damage, plus it is usually bloody starving by now.
Methinks the Petshop are a tad misinformed.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just phoned another pet shop and the guy said he has 4" ones for £35 but he doesnt know what sex they are.

im thinking of either just getting one that size and taking the chance on the sex or waiting till they moult and take a pic and ask on here if it can be sexed.

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just phoned another pet shop and the guy said he has 4" ones for £35 but he doesnt know what sex they are.

im thinking of either just getting one that size and taking the chance on the sex or waiting till they moult and take a pic and ask on here if it can be sexed.
Sounds like a decent price!
Buy 2 and increase your odds.....:razz:
ps. Where in the UK is the shop located?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a lot of pet shops just want to make £££££ out of the ( t ) or any pets come to think of it how about going on the net to find a GOOD supply of ( t ) breeders and genuine keepers who put the ( t ) before the £££££ thats the way to go ;) ==== phil

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The local shop to me has a 'Goliath'. Although I must admit on a quick inspection it didnt quite look like a T. Blondi. That was priced at £75 and I would estimate the leg span to be 6".

I've just ordered an unsexed juv T. Blondi with a 7cm+ legspan from the Tarantulashop.com for £25, which will be with me tomorrow.

£35 for a 4" Blondi from a petshop seems like a very good price. I was recently disgusted to see a A. Geniculata in a pet shop, marked as a Red Knee!!! and with a price of £80 for a 3" leg span. £80!!!!

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've just ordered an unsexed juv T. Blondi with a 7cm+ legspan from the Tarantulashop.com for £25, which will be with me tomorrow.

QUOTE]
Excellent supplier ! I got about half of my T's from Dan at Tarantulashop, including my 3 inch Blondi. She has doubled in size since Xmas.