T blondi

warren g

Arachnopeon
Hi I am in need of some help I have recently added a blondi to my collection she is 5 years old when I got her there was a molt in her enclosure so I left her for a week then rehoused her and left her for another week before attempting to feed but when I tried to feed her I noticed that she couldn’t dig her fangs in and realised that had snapped is it wise to hand feed or could she survive to next molt with plenty of water thanks in advance

Jess S

Arachnobaron
If both fangs have snapped you'd have to resort to offering pre-killed prey with the guts slashed open, to make it easier for her to eat.
If only 1 fang is damaged she should be able to use the other one. But the fact you say you observed her unable to use either, does sound like both are damaged.

cold blood

Staff member
Jess is right, one fang isn't a big deal, they simply eat slower.

But no fangs is another story...hand feeding isn't a good idea....id be shocked if the t was comfortable enough being held to start eating.

That said, feeding isn't impossible, many have had luck with mashed up "cricket soup", but IME, nothing works better in these situations than wax worms...I split them the long way, and score them in the opposite direction.....reasons waxies are best;

1. They're all soft...with no hard outside, they're easier for a t to eat without masticating with the fangs.

2. They're very fatty, so the t can get what it needs faster or with fewer feedings...now with a Theraphosa, you would want to offer several at a time.

Things to note....the t may feed a lot less, and as a result, the molt cycle will likely be very extended...but as long as it eats a little, at least occasionally, it should be enough to get it through the next molt....and that's the #1 goal.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
That’s a bummer I think you’ve got the info you need from @cold blood and @Jess S.
post some pics if possible and keep us updated. I think a lot of us would like to see how this plays out.
Good Luck

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Wow.... wonder how that happened... they really did just snap off. Can you post a pic of the whole spider with something next to it for scale?

not to sound insensitive this is just very interesting bc I’ve read about this so many times but never saw it. I really do hope things work out. I’d like to see how big her abdomen is.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
If she's not able to use her pedipalps to pick them up and hold them under her mouth, you can try making a soup out of them by blending them and adding a tiny amount of water (not too much) to thin it out a bit if necessary. Put it in the enclosure for 24 hrs and remove the waterdish while it's in there, so it's more likely to be drank from.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
You actually have a T. stirmi and not a T. blondi. A real T. blondi are more harder to find and are very expensive. I would try offering some other feeders to see if she'll take them. There isn't much I can think of to try besides trying to offer pre-killed prey mashed to where she can eat it or try softer prey.