T.Blondi ?

pickaxepete

Arachnopeon
I picked up one at a show last week end.She is 5 to 6 in and SKINNY way under weight. Got her home she had some food and water started moving around more.Today she was fine even though she didnt eat in 2 days. Now she looks like she is ready to die. Could she trying to molt even though she is still way under weight. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
help coming..!

Jbrd will be home in half an hour if you don't get any good advice before then... he really knows his stuff with this sp. Can you post pics of her before then?

pickaxepete

Arachnopeon
this poor girl lived in a 3 in cup i just couldnt let her stay there.
Leggs by her side but not curled under .NOT moving much at all and on her belly.

Last edited:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as you probably already know, a big clean water dish is a must for her. moist substrate and a dark hide space will help, too. sadly, i see blondis at shows all the time, skinny and lumpy in tiny deli cups. one even managed to flip over on its back... god knows how!

are the legs curled under, or is she just hunched up? if the legs are curled under, she need to be put in an ICU (large container lined with moist paper towels and placed in a warm, dark area away from disturbances).

it breaks my heart when i see them at show in those conditions. the only reason i don't scoop them all up is because they run the risk of having parasites or just dying on me (and then me being out $60+), and then the sellers just get more. :(

i wish you and her the best!

pickaxepete

Arachnopeon
Thanks Kitty b leggs are not curled they are up and close to her side. She does have a water dish that she used alot.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great info for you from kitty_b Big clean water dish, warm and UNDISTURBED. These kids are delicate... Unfortunately- kitty's also right about not buying such specimens from crappy dealers. Buying them in this condition only tells them that they CAN sell them, regardless of health. "Rescuing" this girl only guarantees the unscrupulous dealer will do it again (supply and demand)... so darned SAD....:embarrassed:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She is most likely stressed out and dehydrated. Put her in an ICU with a water dish and leave her alone for a while, after she is looking better put her in a normal enclosure with high humidity, and feed her.
Best of luck with her.

pickaxepete

Arachnopeon
OK what would be good for humidity. Its high now and she has had water form the day we brought her home. She was eating up till 2 days ago.

pickaxepete

Arachnopeon
I went to see how much water she has drank today and its about 1 1/2 to 2 oz today. I found her not moving and face down in the water dish. The dish is not verry deep but i was worried she might drownd. Thats why i wrote to get some info and help.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
she may just be full (as far as the stop in eating). :)

if she has a hide, she may be hesitant to use it initially. people often see this, especially with burrowers like H. lividum. the "scrutched up" pose is because she feels vulnerable and so she is trying to protect herself.

80% humidity is fine for them (honestly, i wonder if humidity is overrated.. hydration seems to be the determining factor, at least with my collection.) you don't want it so humid that the air is stagnant, or condensation is building on the walls, or the substrate is overly moist.

if you decide against an ICU, you may want to just cover her tank, essentially turning it into one big dark burrow. the "i can't see you, so you don't exist to upset me" sometimes helps them to adjust quicker. i'd also hold off on offering any more food for at least a few days. if they're not hungry, the extra prey scrambling around them can add to the stress.

oh, and as far as the dish goes... they breathe through the book lungs on the underside of their abdomen, so if she has her face submerged in the dish, she's perfectly safe. i often find my babies with their front halves partially submerged. :)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our blondi was continually "in" the waterdish...it became a sort of game with us - how to fill it today? lol You have the best advice possible here.. Good luck and keep us posted! ;)

pickaxepete

Arachnopeon
Humidity is 85 % she is in a dark place but she is out not in her house. Temp is 80 she just dont want to move.
I thank you all for your help.:clap:

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
feel free to ask anything that comes up, though. Many of us " T.freaks" are up late...lolol :D

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
give her a swimming pool like this they love it and do not worry about drowning she will be fine

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
besides her looking very buttless.... she looks good overall. just keep her with a water dish. and try to offer food. but take it out soon if she dosen't eat it right away. i have good feelings about this 1.

keep up the good work. good luck

moose