T.Blondi vs sp. Burgundy

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Which one is the more desirable species, cost more or less, and why?

LV-426

Arachnobaron
is there that much of a difference that warrants a T blondi being more expensive? also is the care of both the same?

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Well maybe cause the T blondi was the first one dicovered that is why

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i would say it's because blondi is scarcer at this time. if they were readily available and "bugandys" were uncommon, it would be the other way around.

i have 2 "burgandy" females and am perfectly happy with them, at some point i plan on picking up a blondi or 2 and maybe a couple apophysis so i can have the whole set but you won't catch me complaining about my non-blondis:D

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Its all about value and what people percieve as which one is more valuble. and the point of availability is a good one

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Therophosa Sp.

I don't know much about T Blondi, T Apophysis, T Burgandy, etc. But what I THOUGHT I knew was that T Burgandy is either a brand new , third Theraphosa Sp., or simply another color form of T Blondi. If that is true, then how can the original Blondi be a rarer, and therefore; a more in-demand, expensive tarantula than T Burgandy?

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't know much about T Blondi, T Apophysis, T Burgandy, etc. But what I THOUGHT I knew was that T Burgandy is either a brand new , third Theraphosa Sp., or simply another color form of T Blondi. If that is true, then how can the original Blondi be a rarer, and therefore; a more in-demand, expensive tarantula than T Burgandy?
I agree.
It is my understanding that T. sp. burgundy is just a regional variant of blondi and is not a recognized species. That being so, why the price difference? I am getting a T. blondi this weekend, and when photos were shown I got a few responses stating it is a "burgundy" and many others stating it is a blondi.
I am very curious to know what I have, is htere really a difference, and do I need to be wary of the blondy vs. "burgundy" issue if decide to breed?

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
T Blondi vs Burgandy

This is always an interesting thread, Scoolman. Thanks for the info.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
You learn something new all the time i like threads like this :) awsome info

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
IMO the blondi is prettier. The pinkish hairs give it a more colorful complete look. Im suprised the blondi dont cost more than ive seen them go for. They are only a little more expensive than the burgundy.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Theraphosa "burgundy" is a known 3rd Theraphosa sp.

Is being put under revision by Brazilian taxonomists. It was put under the wrong genus in the late 1800's , Lasiodora spinipes.

Theraphosa blondi is more rare and valuable simply because 95% of whats in the US hobby and whats been for the past decade (That I know off) is not Theraphosa blondi but Theraphosa sp -spinipes[/I.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree.
It is my understanding that T. sp. burgundy is just a regional variant of blondi and is not a recognized species. That being so, why the price difference? I am getting a T. blondi this weekend, and when photos were shown I got a few responses stating it is a "burgundy" and many others stating it is a blondi.
I am very curious to know what I have, is htere really a difference, and do I need to be wary of the blondy vs. "burgundy" issue if decide to breed?
Show me the pic, ;) ill let you know almost for sure in a second

Vinnyg253

Arachnopeon
I ahd herd some accounts of the Burgandy being slightly problemmatic with health issues?

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree.

there are more than a few things that seperate both the blondi and burgundy visually.

setae on the patella(knees)
compare an sp. burgundys femurs with a blondi, big difference in size there
even the carapace on a blondi is rounder, and "cleaner"
burgundy slings with white feet..

pre and post molt color don't really have anything to do with either species, both will lighten, then darken before and after a molt. same with apophysis.

i do believe it is a seperate species in the same genus, and not just a simple "morph"

i think alot of people just want to believe what they have is a Theraphosa blondi, i really wish people would wisen up and seperate the species..