T. Blondi Sling Care?

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi

I am interested in buying a T.Blondi sling. I know that there not good for beginners but I think I can handle it :cool:. I just need to know how to care for them. Is there care any different than the adults?

Thanks

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not really - i have apophysis slings, and they're basically the same:

very moist substrate but reasonable ventilation, temps not below 20°c. and don't overfeed it - i feed mine only once a week (yes, even the smallest slings, though small is relative when talking about a blondi sling ;)), and not with more than two prey items of appropriate size. mine do not grow as fast as other people's do, but on the other hand, i've never had molting difficulties. those seem to stem (at least in some cases) from overfeeding and/or too much vertebrate prey.

as for blondis not being a beginner's t - as long as the environmental parameters are right and it is moist enough, genus theraphosa is not terribly difficult. they may be more defensive than other ts, but your main problem will be the really evil urticating hairs. some of them (and really not all) throw a threat display from time to time, but as long as they can retreat to a hide in the background, maintainance should not be a problem.

also, slings can be quite fast and nervous (none of mine ever tried to bite, they always run), though apophysis is worse when it comes to skittishness.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree. I have a blondi and an apophoysis and the apophysis wins pedipalps down for my most skittish, I would call it pycho, by far.
Blondi slings aren't to hard to keep, they do need the extra moisture and they are skittish. They grow quickly, and can be nervy and throw threat poses and strike at innocent things like water being poured into a dish.
I'm not going to tell you not to get a blondi, and that they aren't a good starter tarantula, you know that. You will do what you want, regardless of what anyone here tells you.
I will say that blondis can be problems for some keepers. The reactions to their hairs for some people can be real torture, and blondis can have more moulting problems then a lot of other T's. I think those things, more so than it being a defensive T, are the reasons to start with something else.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi how about starting with a L -PARAHYBANA thats big and i found very hardy to keep just a suggestion and good luck with any one you get ---- phil

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if your looking for one you can handle when its older, maybe a g. rosea or a red knee would be better. do you have any other Ts? there are a lot of good ones out there that you can handle.:eek: but they still can be grumpy at times.

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I have a G. Rosea, that is around 18 years old. I plan on getting two T slings. I want a new T that gets pretty big. I also want to get A. versicolor. T. blondi (or maybe L PARAHYBANA) is very amazing and impressive, so I figured I should get one of those.

Last edited:

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
did you ever think about getting a Grammastolla aureostriata, they can get really big.