T. Blondi or Stirmi

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
Which is if either is a easier to keep tarantula? Has anyone here had both? I have been in the hobby for three years now and have been looking forward to owning one. Cannot choose between the two and would like the opinion of someone who has owned one first hand and is not trying to sell one to me. Lol any information is helpful.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have not owned a T. blondi, and likely never will. They're much rarer than a T. stirmi, they're much more fragile, they're much more expensive, and they look darn near identical. Whoever is selling you a T. blondi is very likely pulling your chain. Don't even debate it, go for the cheaper, hardier T. stirmi. I love mine, the setae are just a pain to deal with.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
stirmis hell of alot cheaper, get about the same size, look the same if not better, both are same care wise. have fun trying to find a legit blondi. very rare. here in canada, 1" blondi go for $350, and 1.5" stirmi go for $100. only reason to get a blondi is to say you have the "original" Goliath bird eater.

Last edited:

parthicus

Arachnopeon
Personally, i would love a T.blondi, i have a nice 75 gal just waiting for one but i cannot seem to find one that I believe is a legitimate T.blondi. My cousin has a 7" female T.blondi and it is gorgeous. There is not so much of a difference though, and i would just say to get the T. stirmi if you want one, but if you really want a T.blondi, i would wait for one.

Forgot to mention, they are relatively the same to care for, so I would not say either one would be "easier" to take care of in my opinion.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Almost all advertised T. blondi's are actually stirmi's, As blondi's are very hard to come by due to them being more expensive and less hardy then stirmi not to mention also very hard to breed and to get a viable sac from. There no more different then stirmi really other then having hair on there patella. Best bet of finding blondi's is over in Europe. Keep stirmi's in similar conditions as OW Asian T's, Deep moist not soggy substrate, good moderate cross ventilation, clean water-dish at all times and consistently spot cleaning boluses and occasionally feces. Give them a large hide to settle into. They're voracious eaters so be prepared to feed them a good amount of prey to support there girth each week I typically give mine 10-12 crix on average, Just don't overdo it as they are prone to be obese. I remember @Poec54 saying about there availability how quote "Almost all Theraphosa in the US are stirmi. In the late 1990's w/c blondi were coming in but people couldn't keep them going (so our supply of CBB blondi slings comes from Europe).''

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Blondi, besides being rare and very expensive, are much more delicate and prone to molting fatalities. Pointless to get one when you can get an almost identical and hardier stirmi for much less. Blondi's no bigger than stirmi. This is a classic 'no brainer.' Blondi's expensive because only the Europeans have figured out how to breed them, and even they have a difficult time of it.

Almost all of the people who want blondi are under the mystique of old literature, before it was realized that there were actually 3 species. Who knows which one of them any of the old writings were referring to.

parthicus

Arachnopeon
Has it been sexed since it was purchased, or are you going by what the seller said?
He bought it 2 years ago as unsexed, but we were able to ventrally sex it as a female.

Just confirmed with him, he bought it 2 years ago not 4 years.

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
Blondi, besides being rare and very expensive, are much more delicate and prone to molting fatalities. Pointless to get one when you can get an almost identical and hardier stirmi for much less. Blondi's no bigger than stirmi. This is a classic 'no brainer.' Blondi's expensive because only the Europeans have figured out how to breed them, and even they have a difficult time of it.

Almost all of the people who want blondi are under the mystique of old literature, before it was realized that there were actually 3 species. Who knows which one of them any of the old writings were referring to.
What literature?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Blondi's expensive because only the Europeans have figured out how to breed them, and even they have a difficult time of it.
Where they are :( ? I see always T.stirmi, T.apophysis and, always, at crazy prices (less than US, however).

Muahahahahah btw there's a "mod" i know here in Italy that got Theraphosa hairs the bad way and now even to remove a molt is somewhat nasty for him :)

parthicus

Arachnopeon

I wish I could find someone here who is breeding T.blondi's, I would really like to get a sling.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I wish I could find someone here who is breeding T.blondi's, I would really like to get a sling.

I don't think anyone in the US does, or has. That's why they're so expensive. They were imported into the US 15-20 years ago as w/c adults, and apparently no one here could keep them going. Rarely got sacs, and those few would rot. If you spend several hundred dollars on a young blondi and it dies (in molt or otherwise), does that seem like a good investment? If you're going to spend big bucks, get apophysis, as at least it looks a little different.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I've seen T. blondi slings for sale by American importers (European bred), but I've never given them a second look. Their proportions look kind of strange compared to T. stirmi in my opinion. They do have slight differences, but you have to see the two side-by-side and they get the same size. In my opinion, the only reason people look for blondi over stirmi is because of the perceived prestige that goes with the rarity and increased difficulty of care or else to complete a genus collection. I WOULD like to get my paws on an apophysis, but they're a bit different from the other two. Go for a stirmi all the way. They're prettier, hardier, cheaper and more accessible. There's no reason to spend $350 for a delicate sling when you could get an adult female for $100-150. Leave the blondi for people who can get that species breeding here in the U.S. as far as I'm concerned.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What literature?

Old lit from decades ago. T blondi was exalted as being 'the world's biggest tarantula', but there's actually 3 'biggest' ones, that people didn't know how to tell apart back then. Some people still get the name blondi fixed in their head and 'have to have' that one. Misinformed people more than anything else. If you really were a serious Theraphosa collector, you'd want apophysis instead, as it has the biggest legspan and the adult males are purple like Pamphos.

parthicus

Arachnopeon
What did you guys look for when you vent sexed it?
We researched online and compared images, and along with using a jewelers loupe we were able to see that there was not a patch of hair between the book lungs like multiple people had stated online. The patch of hair would only be on a male.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
We researched online and compared images, and along with using a jewelers loupe we were able to see that there was not a patch of hair between the book lungs like multiple people had stated online. The patch of hair would only be on a male.

With stirmi, and I assume blondi, there's a black arrow on males above the vent, pointing to the sternum. Females lack the arrow and also tend to have a 'pouch'.

parthicus

Arachnopeon
I don't think anyone in the US does, or has. That's why they're so expensive. They were imported into the US 15-20 years ago as w/c adults, and apparently no one here could keep them going. Rarely got sacs, and those few would rot. If you spend several hundred dollars on a young blondi and it dies (in molt or otherwise), does that seem like a good investment? If you're going to spend big bucks, get apophysis, as at least it looks a little different.
That does make alot of sense, I will have to reconsider and I probably will end up getting a stirmi or apophysis at some point in the near future.