T. Blondi on back!!!!!

Marilyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

Got a bit of an issue with my big girl.

she has been acting odd over thast few weeks.
she ate 1 adut mouse and 2 big locust a week.

then on saturday i tried t feed another mouse, (keeping in mind she had the last one 14 days before).
she rejected it, ans was going skits after that, she would always stamp her feet, and be hissing and kicking hairs when ever anyboday got near the terrarium.

then 1 day ago, when i looked she was on her back moving her legs.

it has now been 24 hour +, and am starting to get worried, done the usual check list, of checking temp, and humidity, all is good. checked to see if any mites or anything along them lines.

Her last molt was 02-12-2006, so start of december time, and now it;s not even mid jan. it just seems odd.. and dont know what to do.

anybody ever known this to happen?

many thanx
-Marilyn

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its seems rather soon for another molt..but she is giving all of the tell-tale signs that thats exactly what shes getting ready to do.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its molting. It wouldn't surprise me if the molt frequency is increased if what you have fed over the last couple of weeks is your normal amount of feeding. That is an excessive amount of food. Large diets can and will speed up the molts.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It sure sounds like a moult, and you have been feeding her well. Usually if they die they don't roll over, they curl their legs under them. Keep her humidilty up and keep an eye on her but don't disturb her. There isn't much else you can do. Keep us posted!!!!

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
she rejected the mouse, but ate a locust :confused: :confused: :confused:
They are programmed to eat when food is available. In the wild they have no clue when the next meal will come around so they will eat when they get the chance. A large tarantula such as a T. blondi will just fine on a diet of 12 to 20 crickets (or equivilant amount of food) a month. Just because it is eating does not mean it needs to eat. Also, as I mentioned, power feeding does increase the molting frequency which in turn decreases the life span.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
but it has been 24 hour +, and she is 8"
It could be a problematic molt, but it is molting. Keep an eye on it. There are several threads on problem molts and what measures you can take to help. These are generally last ditch efforts though. Do a search on bad or problem molts. There was also a thread from about two years ago about manually removing the exuvium, which is definitely the last course of action.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your not in worry land yet. I have had adult Brachys take 42 hours to complete a molt...... So hopefully just sit back and watch the show.

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would recommend you feed her mice much less often.
There is a theory that offering mice too often may cause molting problems.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This spider molted just a bit over a month ago (Dec. 2nd, 2006), right?

For an adult T. blondi, going a month in between molts seems way too frequent.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
What exactly is the spider doing now? In my experience they do not "wiggle" their legs when moulting. The lay very still when they first flip over, not until they start pushing do they move their legs. This does not sound like a moult to me. No matter how much you fed it, that is way too soon for it to moult again. Could it have fallen, maybe injured itself and can't right itself again?

Marilyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In Europe, dates are written as day-month-year, instead of month-day-year as we do in the US.

So 2-12-06 would be 2nd of December, 2006.
yes, that is correct,
i have just filmed her, and am trying to upload the vid on the net,,

will post the link shortly

thanx for the help so far

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe im just pessimistic but that doesnt look like its molting at all. It looks more lke its having a seizure or something. Ive never seen a spider (especially one that big) twitching and moving so much during a molt. They usually tend to lay pretty still. Has it been on its back like that for 24hours or did I read something wrong?