T. blondi molt

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
My beautiful baby girl has finally peaked over 10"! I'm so proud she's doing so well!!

-Bryan

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, she's a beuty!
I'm expecting 3 Blondi slings in the nearest future (2-3 weeks), I'm just waiting for them to molt to be ready for the journey. So I hope to have a monster like that in, eh, a couple of years :)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Hogge2k
Oh, she's a beuty!
I'm expecting 3 Blondi slings in the nearest future (2-3 weeks), I'm just waiting for them to molt to be ready for the journey. So I hope to have a monster like that in, eh, a couple of years :)
Mine's only a year old. I was shocked at how fast she's grown!

-Bryan

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Bryan,

1 years old!!! Wow, that seems to be very fast growth. At what temps are you keeping it?

Can you share the molt records with us? I have a s'ling that's grown to about 4.5" since I received it as about 2" in early February but I can't imagine it reaching 10" in another 7 months.

Nice T.

Regards,
Jeff

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One year?? :eek: OMG, I knew they were fast growing but that fast... As far as I knew (thought I knew) the females needs at least 2,5-3 years to reach sexual maturity (and the males 1,5), but this one must be adult enough to mate, or?
I know, size isn't everything but still... :D

Last edited:

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I haven't kept molt records on her, but I believe it's been six weeks between each molt. I keep her at about 75-80 degrees, but I do power-feed her (I prefer to call it "spoiling her"). I'm sure that could lead to it.

Notice that she's still rather fat coming out of the molt ;)

-Bryan

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pics!! She does have a big healthy rump on her. I think it is good to feed T. blondi's a lot. I mean, once they get to a certain size, crickets just don't do it. Our adult female just devoured 2 fuzzies like it was her last meal!! We feed less in winter, but that is only because we get busy and don't think about it as much.

They do grow very fast. Our male took just over a year to mature from a 1" s'ling and molted every 4-6 weeks. Sometimes he would double in size in one molt.

-Jill

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by arachnopunks
They do grow very fast. Our male took just over a year to mature from a 1" s'ling and molted every 4-6 weeks. Sometimes he would double in size in one molt.
Mine doubled most of the molts, as well. It's probably the only species I've kept that does that, other than L. parahybana.

-Bryan

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice blondi, i kinda wanna get one but i kinda dont because there size is nice and all but they dont have great colors and there grump i hear, what do you think of them do you reccomend them?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice T!!...My T.blondi looks nothing like that.She's an overall light brown color.Are there different color morphs..maybe premolt color?.She's wild caught female and her body length measures about 5 inches.She's fair sized.I've had her a couple months now and she's not yet molted in my possesion.Healthy active and eats like a horse....peace..
here's a pic www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9378&highlight=T.blondi
identical to this picture http://www.tarantulas.com/goliath.asp

Last edited: