T.Blondi, is this a good price

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found a 5-6 inch T.Blondi at a local store for $90.00. She(?) is pretty beat up which makes me suspect that its wild caught. She has all her legs and is nice & plump. I've never been really interested in a Blondi but she is very pretty and its soo tempting. Of course I would want to make sure its a female if I was to get it.
I can probably talk them down in price too, the owner is a greedy beast and doesn't like to pass up $$$.

Can anyone point me to a good care sheet? "just in case". This would be my first aggressive T except for my rosie who thinks she is a OBT{D

Is there any sign I should look for before buying a wild caught specimen? and what is the best way to get a good look at the underside of this beastie? I was thinking about taking all my T paraphernalia with me so I could put her in a clear container and give her a good looking over.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats a very good price (if its a female anyway). Keep it in a 10-15 gallon tank with 5 inches of semi moist peat with a large hide and a large shallow water dish. Feed it about 3 medium roaches a week and make sure it has constant fresh water. Their pretty easy to keep and have a VERY hearty appetite. Good luck!

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
waldo said:
I found a 5-6 inch T.Blondi at a local store for $90.00. She(?) is pretty beat up which makes me suspect that its wild caught. She has all her legs and is nice & plump. I've never been really interested in a Blondi but she is very pretty and its soo tempting. Of course I would want to make sure its a female if I was to get it.
I can probably talk them down in price too, the owner is a greedy beast and doesn't like to pass up $$$.

Can anyone point me to a good care sheet? "just in case". This would be my first aggressive T except for my rosie who thinks she is a OBT{D

Is there any sign I should look for before buying a wild caught specimen? and what is the best way to get a good look at the underside of this beastie? I was thinking about taking all my T paraphernalia with me so I could put her in a clear container and give her a good looking over.
Almost all that size are wild caught. Are you sure it's a she? It's up to you how badly you really want a blondi. :)

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought it was a good price, now if I can convince hubby * I promise, no more T's after this one, please??* I'm not very good a sexing but I think I could give ventral sexing a good go since she/he is so big.

Is a 20 gallon long ok for a tank? I have a 10 gallon to but its being saved for my chaco once it grows up. Oh, and how fast do these guys grow? The store has it labled as a baby which it clearly isn't

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A reminder folks that specifying specific dealers' and their prices is not allowed in the discussion forums. You are free to comment on whether the price originally asked about is good or not, but please refrain from discussing what individual dealers are selling their tarantulas for as well as advertising any specific dealers.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are fast growers as far as big T's go but once they reach the 10" mark they slow down quite a bit. IMO a 20 gallon tararium would be great. If you dont mind seeing it minimally give it about 9-10 inches of peat so it can burrow. But if you want to see her/him give it 5 inches of peat and half a flower pot.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO, Thats a bit high for a 5" to 6" sized specimen. For that size I'd pay $60 - $75 depending on the animals condition. For $90 I'd expect an 8"+ specimen.

Last edited:

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got my Captive Bred female at 4.5" - 5" and it cost me $100 (then another $30 or so for shipping). As long as its healthy its a good price (I compared with many different sellers)