T.blondi ( is it truly the largest tarantula?)

cold blood

Staff member
I don't think anyone would disagree that mature males can vary in size. Its pretty well known, and I've heard some interesting theory's on maybe why that is. Anyways, although very different then Theraphosa, take a look at these to Cyriocosmus mature male brothers from the same sac. I've seen it in many genera from species across the world.

Later, Tom
Yeah I have had the same experiences over and over again. All my males are well fed and my room is kept at about 80, so I get fast growth...sometimes I get males that do grow very large, sometimes I get ones that just mature really fast instead, which leads to small MMs.

In the same room, with sibling males I have had ezendami mature as small as 1.75" and as large as 3.5"...I've had cams mature anywhere from just under 4", to 7"...versicolor mature as small as 2.75" and as big as 4.5"....marshalli mature as small as 2.5" and as large as 4"...and so on.

I know someone else who does the slow growth method, her MM's take a lot longer to mature, but she doesn't seem to ever have males mature early at small sizes.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Wow I didn't know I could still look at a tarantula and think "holy cow it's a giant spider!" and shiver a little. Behold I was mistaken. And I thought that my nice 6.5" female P. vittata was big.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
This is just not the case though...a female will continue to molt throughout their lives, eventually the time between molts will increase dramatically and the growth may be virtually non-existent...but they don't have a certain or limited number of molts.
I've had my P. metallica for less than a year and in that time it has molted "seven times" yes seven, still haven't been able to sex it from an exuviae, hopefully I will get my answer after it's next molt, it's sitting at a relaxed 3"+ so I think feeding regularly does have some influence on size and molting times, very interesting point @cold blood, makes sense of course, the more you feed the quicker the molts will come around.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Back to whether or not it's worth paying for a blond or apophysis, they look to similar and the growth difference isn't drastic enough for me to want anything but a stirmi. Especially when considering cost.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Back to whether or not it's worth paying for a blond or apophysis, they look to similar and the growth difference isn't drastic enough for me to want anything but a stirmi. Especially when considering cost.
Actually blondi and stirmi look pretty different from the apophysis. The apophysis has longer legs and larger fangs, and it's more red than brown. It's also skinnier and not as heavy.

cold blood

Staff member
I've had my P. metallica for less than a year and in that time it has molted "seven times" yes seven, still haven't been able to sex it from an exuviae, hopefully I will get my answer after it's next molt, it's sitting at a relaxed 3"+ so I think feeding regularly does have some influence on size and molting times, very interesting point @cold blood, makes sense of course, the more you feed the quicker the molts will come around.
Theyre really easy to vent sex.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I have some interesting results regarding the feeding/growth rate debate that ensued over the course of this thread, will be taking pictures and sharing soon.
feeding only influences how fast that max size is reached. temps+more feeding= faster growth, not bigger max size.
See the problem I had with this post was the way you presented it as fact, truth is we do not know for certain. I can't prove it will result in a larger adult, but I have observed that heavier feeding will result in significant growth between molts, whereas underfed slings may not grow as much with each molt. I was careless with my wording in this thread so I can see where I may of been misunderstood.
Now according to what I have read from arachnologist Sam Marshall, increased food at early ages, can and often does equate to a larger adult....I am not sure if he was taking about males as well, as sometimes they do just mature small....but I do think its the case with females.

Here's the quote:

"...you cannot over-feed a growing spider. In fact, the more you feed a young tarantula, the faster and larger it will grow."
That's how I should of worded my observations, truly an encitful quote and response.

Just because general consensus revolves around one belief does not make another invalid. In fact throughout history those with the ability to question information at hand have often been the ones to make groundbreaking discoveries.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Theyre really easy to vent sex.
I think it's male, going by the spot method, I'm trying to stay optimistic....lol, most likely is a male though if the spot method and width of the book lungs are anything to go by, thanks @cold blood here's
a ventral shot, I'm sure it's male.

IMG_0513 (2).JPG

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel

With this thread resurfacing might as well repost this. Largest LP I've ever seen, she's really something in person.
So much for the "LP's max out at 8 inches" argument that I've seen on these boards. With the legs straightened that one has to be a least 9 inches. But genetic variance allows for specimens of a larger than normal size, so Theraphosa of 12 inch or even larger dls probably occur.

Last edited:

Venom 13

Arachnopeon
So much for the "LP's max out at 8 inches" argument that I've seen on these boards. With the legs straightened that one has to be a least 9 inches. But genetic variance allows for specimens of a larger than normal size, so Theraphosa of 12 inch or even larger dls probably occur.
LPs get pretty big. There are many 8 plus inch LPs. Here are some old pics. They are not in the top 5 in size for nothing.

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Bodylength is used for comparing within the species. Like mentioned, a B.vagans and an A.avicularia can have the same DLS, but the bodylength is massively different.
Both ways have their pro's and con's. When only knowing the bodylength and not being very familiar with he species, you have no idea how big the total spider is when ordering, and thus no way of telling what size enclosure to get.
On the other hand, getting an actual exact measurement is easier when measuring the bodylength with some accuracy, since the carapace and abdomen are less able to change than the stance of the legs.
Bodylength is usually measured when the spider is mid cycle, so not post- or pre-molt.
I think there should be a common standard for the measurement of ALL inverts. DLS for scorpions or centipedes is completely irrelevant but seems the common measurement for T,s Body length is the only really accurate way to measure any invert. Then you are not talking stretched / not stretched crouched or any other leg position. Regarding " power feeding affects size" if you look at most vertibrates including us, they don't increase in overall length only girth.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A friend of me bought a huge female in expo in Germany. And when i say huge, i mean HUGE! Some time after when it had moulted i visited him! We measured the moult and it was 11 inch legspan! I dont lie! I saw it with my own eyes! Not only the legspan was huge! It was incredible bulky, with an insane carapace! That was a monster really! I have never seen anything like that tarantula! Not before, not after! It was a sight to behold!

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think there should be a common standard for the measurement of ALL inverts. DLS for scorpions or centipedes is completely irrelevant but seems the common measurement for T,s Body length is the only really accurate way to measure any invert. Then you are not talking stretched / not stretched crouched or any other leg position. Regarding " power feeding affects size" if you look at most vertibrates including us, they don't increase in overall length only girth.
Where I'm from, they measure bodylength as well, which is fine, but I like to have the legspan added as well. The first gives me an idea how big it is, but the second gives me a better insight in to how big the enclosure has to be. Especially when dealing with species I haven't had before. Bodylength for say, a Poecilotheria does not convey how big of an enclosure needs to be ready, because its legspan is huge in comparison to say a Brachypelma which has shorter legs.
So I like both.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Body length is the only really accurate way to measure any invert. Then you are not talking stretched / not stretched crouched or any other leg position.
This is contradictory in a sense. I'm not a big fan of body length because the abdomen can be "stretched" if they gain a bit of girth or fat. If were talking pampho's, Theraphosa's, and those T.'s with large/big abdomens I wouldn't be surprised if they are "stretched" by being fed a lot. I mean sure, they can't be overly stretched as in legspan, but even with body length the abdomen can be stretched in a sense by being fat.