T blondi humidity issues

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
What's the best, and hopefully most inexpensive way, to keep up the humidity in the cage with my T blondi? I worry that it's not humid enough. It only sits around 60% all day, but goes to 100% while I'm misting.

-Bryan

V

Valael

Ever try one of those humdity machines you can get at a petstore? I think they run around 19.95, and if you've got your blondi in a decent size tank, it should work out...

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
She's in a 20 gallon long, so there's definately enough room.

Is the thing you're talking about a fogger? If so, none of the shops around here have them for less than $70. I've been looking at those for a week, now ;)

-Bryan

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Misting is at most a very temporary fix. By the time you put your mister away, most of what you have sprayed has already evaporated, leaving the tank almost as dry as it was before. Aside from using a humidifier to increase the ambient humidity in the room your spider is in, the best ways are to retard ventilation in the tank by wrapping part of the cover in saran wrap or cheesecloth. You can even place a wet towel over part of the cover. The other way is to use a shallow water dish with a large surface area. Water will evaporate more quickly in a dish of this type.

Scott

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'll try the wet towel and the plastic wrap ideas. I'll post here how each trial goes :) Thanks Scott!

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I just put two wet towels on the lid (covering about 80% of it). I then lightly poured water on the towels which created a fairly natural light rain :) It was neat to watch and didn't seem to bother my tarantula at all. Either way, the humidity has risen to a steady 90%. I think we found something that works :) Thanks!!

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Not a problem. The other good thing about this way is that you don't have to soak the substrate causing a breeding ground for mites.

Scott

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Day two of using wet towels: Humidity is still at a steady 85%. I think I'm going to consider this method successful :D

-Bryan

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds like a great idea for keeping the humdity up, but it sounds like a rather large pain in the ass to wet it down every single day, heh.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
It's no worse than misting every day, which I do anyway with my other spiders and reptiles.