T. blondi bite

christinas

Arachnosquire
Hello all,

Yesterday I saw a Youtube video showing two guys being bitten by a T. blondi (on purpose). I watched that video because I wanted to see how they were going to make the T bite them; however, the tarantula started biting immediately, as soon as she was placed on the guy's arm. Now I am wondering why this is, as none of the tarantulas I have owned got even remotely close to biting (the one I have now does not even flick hairs anymore even when I pick her up). I have only owned mild species so far, so is it that T. blondi is a particularly defensive species (I didn't think this was the case) or did they do something to the spider off camera to rile her up?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
If they are the two dingleberries I’m thinking of, it’s how the T is being held and pressed into their arm. You’d bite too if you were being held by a giant and having your face smashed into someone’s arm.

christinas

Arachnosquire
I guess they just went for the size, since most laypeople are going to assume the biggest spider must be the most dangerous.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
It was a TV series. Kings of Pain, they get bit / stung by all kinds of things. I am with Poonjab, you want to test a T try a P Ornata or Stromatapelma.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
What is with this trend lately of people getting purposefully stung/ bitten by venomous animals? I know of at least a few people on YouTube who are doing this and getting a lot of views.

christinas

Arachnosquire
By the way, is it always the case that the most dangerous venom is the most painful?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
By the way, is it always the case that the most dangerous venom is the most painful?
No. Just check the various Sicariidae species. The bite isn't something we could define painful, but whatever may happens after, due to the effect of that venom, definitely is.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Hello all,

Yesterday I saw a Youtube video showing two guys being bitten by a T. blondi (on purpose). I watched that video because I wanted to see how they were going to make the T bite them; however, the tarantula started biting immediately, as soon as she was placed on the guy's arm. Now I am wondering why this is, as none of the tarantulas I have owned got even remotely close to biting (the one I have now does not even flick hairs anymore even when I pick her up). I have only owned mild species so far, so is it that T. blondi is a particularly defensive species (I didn't think this was the case) or did they do something to the spider off camera to rile her up?
They are very calm,t stirmi is most aggressive i can vouch for that As a rule t blondi should not be handled /their type 3 hairs mean itch/literally

christinas

Arachnosquire
No. Just check the various Sicariidae species. The bite isn't something we could define painful, but whatever may happens after, due to the effect of that venom, definitely is.
That's right, I read that many people don't even know they were bitten by a brown recluse. I was thinking more of when it comes to Ts, since the most painful bites perhaps appear to come from the species that are considered somewhat more medically significant.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's right, I read that many people don't even know they were bitten by a brown recluse. I was thinking more of when it comes to Ts, since the most painful bites perhaps appear to come from the species that are considered somewhat more medically significant.
Well, of course when it comes to T's like P. ornata, P. murinus, C. hainanum and such (I'm just throwing names, obviously there's others to add), the pain caused by that kind of venom is very high, but nonetheless, you can suffer a lot but really a lot of pain - due to the mechanical damage of the bite caused by the chelicerae - also by considered bland-to-mild venomous T's like genus Theraphosa and similar, are: Think that those T's puts lots of strenght in that, if they want, so they can even "munch" a tendon :pompous:

christinas

Arachnosquire
Years ago I had a T who ate a scorpion her own size (a very unfortunate incident, sigh). She had zero problems piercing the exoskeleton.

christinas

Arachnosquire
How’s that happen?
It was my own fault really. When I was just starting with the hobby I had a huge cage that was too big for one critter so I had the bright idea that it would be neat to install a glass divider in the middle and have a tarantula in one half and a scorpion in the other ....

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It was my own fault really. When I was just starting with the hobby I had a huge cage that was too big for one critter so I had the bright idea that it would be neat to install a glass divider in the middle and have a tarantula in one half and a scorpion in the other ....
How’d it get past the divider? I’m assuming the divider wasn’t a solid sheet of glass from base to top.

christinas

Arachnosquire
How’d it get past the divider? I’m assuming the divider wasn’t a solid sheet of glass from base to top.
It was but the problem was with the mesh top. Initially it was straight and horizontal but over time it started to bend and created a tiny gap at the top of the divider that I was unaware of until the tragedy. One night my scorpion climbed the glass walls (I still don't exactly know how she managed to do that ... perhaps by using a few pieces of dried substrate stuck to the wall for support) and fell into the tarantula half of the enclosure. I was honestly surprised it was the tarantula that got her and not the other way. Ever since then I have enormous respect for those fangs.