T. blondi attacked by mouse

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
My T. blondi (adult female) was just bitten by the mouse I was feeding her. She caught the mouse, and then the mouse bit the tip of her right pedipalp. There was a very short struggle, then my spider had it under control again.

Her only wound was on the top of that pedipalp. It bled about four drops, then stopped abruptly. There's currently a large droplet on the wound, but it's not dripping. It appears to have stopped, but I thought tarantulas had no clotting agents in their blood.

Is there anything I can/ should do? She's eatting the mouse right now, and SEEMS to be fine.

Any help?

-Bryan

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eeek.
Oh I Hope she's ok. :(

I wish I had some advice about this but I haven't yet experienced T wounds.

Please keep us posted on how she is though.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
isnt that like agisnt the law to feed animals other live animals (other then small insects etc) i know in the UK u can get banned from keeping animals is it differant where u r??

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A couple drops shouldn't be much of a problem, just as long as the bleeding stops. I've experienced T wounds before, they're very upsetting, especially when it's a favorite tarantula.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its your own fault for feeding it the live mouse.. shame on you

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
isnt that like agisnt the law to feed animals other live animals (other then small insects etc) i know in the UK u can get banned from keeping animals is it differant where u r??
Nope no such law in the states. :) Some local goverments may have some corny laws to the such, but not many that I know of.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
my guess is that so long as the bleeding has stopped, everything should be okay. my first tarantula (an aphonopelma chalcodes, i believe) fell and broke her back leg at the 2nd joint from the top. eventually the blood "scabbed" and she threw off the leg, without any of my intervention on my part.

if it makes you feel better, i'd use the old non-toxic superglue or nu-skin standbys, but in my opinion, she'll be fine.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I once had a spider bleed to death from a leg that had been autotomized cleanly and should (theoretically) have sealed itself without any problem. As a result, I seal absolutely everything that even threatens to be a problem nowadays, on the theory it's better to be safe than sorry. Nuskin (liquid bandage) is my sealant of choice. I must say, however, that if your spider is actually eating right now, the damage was not likely severe, and you could wait till she's done to treat her (assuming you decide to treat her at all).

Joy

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my male a.avic' got bitten on his abdomen when he wa son his breeding loan, the women sealed his wound and hes got a really niftyfurry patch from the sealant now :)

id take a pic but the digi cam is bad for details and stuff.. :<

ive had a g.rosea for 10 years and shes NEVER been injured:?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by TheEternal
My T. blondi (adult female) was just bitten by the mouse I was feeding her....
Bryan,

I have to echo the sentiments of those who say that feeding mature or partially mature live prey is a crap shoot... pretty much, you can't cry if the milk spills. It would be like someone going to a group of herpers and saying, "my $5,000 het piebald Ball Python just got bitten by the mouse I was feeding it!", and I guarantee you the response would be 100X stronger than what you've seen here.

The OLDEST I will feed live mice is fuzzy... once they hit hopperhood, they are as dangerous as a full grown mouse, in terms of teeth, claws, and kicking ability. If i have to feed live hopper+ sized mice, I dispatch them by squeezing just behind the head with my 12" tweezers to break the neck, and dropping them in front my my pedes to get the feeding response. I would suspect the same would wor for T's... just dangle the just-killed mouse on tongs, and the T will go for it... as long as it's still warm, they won't care.

Most keepers learn this lesson the hard way... smart keepers only learn it once. ;)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Re: Re: T. blondi attacked by mouse

Originally posted by Mister Internet
Most keepers learn this lesson the hard way... smart keepers only learn it once. ;)
You're right. I love my blondi too much to chance that again. She's getting all pre-killed, from now on.

An update on her: She just finished the mouse this morning. She seems to be doing fine, now.

-Bryan

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Or... if you're manly enough (I'm not, thank God) hold it by the tail and smack it's head against a wall. Although I like the other method better since I'm just a wimply little girl!

Also... I have used a dab of SuperGlue many times with great success! It's the quickest to dry and the longer tube makes for easier (and safer!) application.

Hope you baby is o.k.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The way we used to kill them in the lab is spin'em around a few times to disorient them, pin them down by the base of the skull with a ruler or dowel, and then a swift yank to the lower body - pops the skull off of the spinal column very nicely.

Others have already pointed out to try liquid skin or nail hardener on the wound if you suspect it's not sealed so I won't bother chiming in on that.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When ever I have had to kill a mouse for something I always just took the head between finger and thumb of one hand, the torso in the other and wrung it.

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice..............

Originally posted by Nixy
When ever I have had to kill a mouse for something I always just took the head between finger and thumb of one hand, the torso in the other and wrung it.
Not that I even care for pinkies myself, they shouldn't be able to bite. Wrung it huh, a slow and painful death. It's daed from oxygen deprevation. You killed it not the T. Do you feel proud of yourself?

New skin works the best on wounds.

Ps., If your gonna euthanize mice/pinkies, please do it in a humane way.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Nice..............

Originally posted by JDK
Not that I even care for pinkies myself, they shouldn't be able to bite. Wrung it huh, a slow and painful death. It's daed from oxygen deprevation. You killed it not the T. Do you feel proud of yourself?

New skin works the best on wounds.

Ps., If your gonna euthanize mice/pinkies, please do it in a humane way.
Snapping it's neck like anyone else would but a different method is not humane?

I grew up part of my life in the mountains.
Where Not a Bit of the meat was baught at the store.
I learned How to ring a neck and snap it in a clean fast efficiant way.

Before you Attack me, get your facts streight and try and figure out What your attacking me for.
Ok?

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Re: Nice..............

Originally posted by Nixy
Snapping it's neck like anyone else would but a different method is not humane?

I grew up part of my life in the mountains.
Where Not a Bit of the meat was baught at the store.
I learned How to ring a neck and snap it in a clean fast efficiant way.

Before you Attack me, get your facts "straight" and try and figure out What you are attacking me for.
Ok?
Pardon my rudeness, I was under the influence that you chocked it to death. Still, I find no reason to euthanize a pinky nouse for it cannot bite. Well, it can, but it won't in any way hurt the T. But let's think here, WWJD? Hmm? I think He stayed away from pinkies and wouldn't even think of euthanizing them. Yup, I think Jesus's tarantulas were fed entirely on crickets for they are the devil's creation.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No problem JDK.

The issue was about adult mice or sub adult mice that were equipted to harm a T.
Pinkies arn't.

I spent a good many years having to kill dinner.
I learned how to do the unpleasant task in the quickest manner, saving both myself and the creature as much pain, misery and fear as possiable.

And I had a great deal of respect for those creatures too.
It's something you learn when you have to do the ugly yourself.
And I am happy to say it's something that has stayed with me.

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well most people know my stance on this one ,so I wont rant and rave about how dangerous a mouse with sharp teeth can be.But I do hope that all the other people how feed there T's live food read this thread and finally get it into there thick skulls that .....i'm ranting so i'll shut up now.
Doug

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Nice..............

Originally posted by JDK
Pardon my rudeness, I was under the influence that you chocked it to death. Still, I find no reason to euthanize a pinky nouse for it cannot bite. Well, it can, but it won't in any way hurt the T. But let's think here, WWJD? Hmm? I think He stayed away from pinkies and wouldn't even think of euthanizing them. Yup, I think Jesus's tarantulas were fed entirely on crickets for they are the devil's creation.
oh no, we have a preacher..... i thought christians were taught that all animals are eqaul? :D