T arrived dead

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An adult Aphonopelma New River I was expecting arrived dead today. If it wasn't leaking fluids, I would have thought it died from excessive heat. It's around 80 deg F here now and it came with a heat pack.

What bothers me is that the T was physically packed just fine. It came in a pill bottle wrapped and cushioned in paper towel. Yet, there was this brown substance all over the inside of the paper towel. It was clearly leaking from a part of the abdomen where it meets the carapace. It had to have been thrown around pretty hard to sustain the damage that it had. This was the carriers fault, so a refund isn't an option. It's so disappointing.

I'm just venting. Thanks for reading.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That sucks. I had this happen once but i got a refund. If you had live arrival guarantee it shouldnt matter how the tarantula died. It didnt arrive live so the refund should be gave. IMO.

Matt

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, you have a point. I called the guy a short while ago, but he didn't answer.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well honestly if he refuses to refund and you guys had agreement on LAG i would leave a negative review. Sometimes the threat of a negative review will get people to do the right thing.

Matt

Blaze

Arachnopeon
agreed. Dealers could ruin their whole reputation based on one well-written negative review. leave him a message and I'm sure he'll do the right thing.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well honestly if he refuses to refund and you guys had agreement on LAG i would leave a negative review. Sometimes the threat of a negative review will get people to do the right thing.

Matt
Haha, threatening the guy to get him to do 'the right thing'.

How hypocritical can you get?

Obelisk - Make sure you hear from the guy first before even worrying about a negative review. If you do need to mention it to him, make sure it's not in a threatening way. Just say you feel that the live arrival guarantee was not honored as it should be, and you will be explaining everything in full detail in the review. Until then though, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt as far as not answering the phone is concerned.

What state did the spider ship from? If the seller was in a cold state, he'd probably want to use a heat pack to keep the spider from freezing.

Here in Florida (as you know), the temperature inside my house right now is 75 degrees, without the A/C or heat on. I hate using heat packs when I ship from here during February and March because it's warm here, but still pretty cold everywhere else.

I'm sorry the spider was DOA. Was the paper towel damp/wet?

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I had been under the impression that, if it was the carriers fault, then the seller isn't obligated to issue a refund. I did call him again and left a message this time.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Obelisk - Make sure you hear from the guy first before even worrying about a negative review. If you do need to mention it to him, make sure it's not in a threatening way. Just say you feel that the live arrival guarantee was not honored as it should be, and you will be explaining everything in full detail in the review. Until then though, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt as far as not answering the phone is concerned.

What state did the spider ship from? If the seller was in a cold state, he'd probably want to use a heat pack to keep the spider from freezing.

Here in Florida (as you know), the temperature inside my house right now is 75 degrees, without the A/C or heat on. I hate using heat packs when I ship from here during February and March because it's warm here, but still pretty cold everywhere else.

I'm sorry the spider was DOA. Was the paper towel damp/wet?
The paper towel was dry. They were shipping from Arizona.

I always try to keep it civil. I left him a message this time, so he should call me back later. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was starting to think that he left me hanging. I was just giving an update as to what I did.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, they probably shouldn't have used a heat pack. How warm was the inside of the package when you received it?

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It didn't feel noticeably warm. The heat pack itself was hot though.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make sure you take pictures in case the seller asks for them.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hypocrite. Must be Joes word of the day. Mine is bologna. Here I'll use it in a sentence xhexdx is full of bologna.
I didn't mean to go right away and right a negative review. I was saying if he didn't respond to your calls or refused to refund.
And ad far as you calling me a hypocrite Joe you've never done business with and you can go check my reviews everyone I've done business with has been more then pleased. Maybe you're just mad because I'm one of the few people who allow you to belittle everyone.

Matt

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hypocrite. Must be Joes word of the day. Mine is bologna. Here I'll use it in a sentence xhexdx is full of bologna.
I didn't mean to go right away and right a negative review. I was saying if he didn't respond to your calls or refused to refund.
And ad far as you calling me a hypocrite Joe you've never done business with and you can go check my reviews everyone I've done business with has been more then pleased. Maybe you're just mad because I'm one of the few people who allow you to belittle everyone.

Matt
Pretty sure that was a typo. :rolleyes:

Where did I say I've done business with you? Where did I question how you do business?

All I said was that threatening someone to 'do the right thing' seemed hypocritical. How you want to interpret a few simple words completely your thing, obviously.

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
sorry to hear about your doa :( I'm sure the seller will do something for you. The majority of people I met through here seem very biz oriented and know the niche of the biz here. Word travels fast through forums like this, so I think your good.

@redrump and xxhexdx------Dont make me turn this car around, cause I will! ;P

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry to hear about your doa :( I'm sure the seller will do something for you. The majority of people I met through here seem very biz oriented and know the niche of the biz here. Word travels fast through forums like this, so I think your good.

@redrump and xxhexdx------Dont make me turn this car around, cause I will! ;P
But mom he touched me first and keeps correcting my spelling errors. {D

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right now I wouldn't be using a heatpack either,as we are in the 70's the past few days,and the 80's will be here later this week.That is just a recipe for a cooked spider.....Mind PM'ing me the sellers name?Just curious for the most part..People have to be careful when they use heatpacks,and need to know WHEN to use one...

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While it is nice to live in southern AZ and FL the temperatures on BOTH ends of the shipment need to be considered, along with possible delays, since our USPS cannot be relied upon to actually deliver their shipments in a timely fashion. Let's give the poor seller a break. He hasn't even had a chance to respond and he's already being treated like an idiot for using a heatpack in early March. I just shipped 40 spiderlings from S. Indiana to Chicago and used a heatpack as temps were going below freezing at both locations. Use some sense if you're going to participate in a post like this.
Diane

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One thing that I am at fault for at is not specifically asking the guy about a live arrival guarantee. I did pay more for shipping so that I could get it overnight express, but that's it. All the talk in this thread about a LAG and I realized too late that I needed to ask for it :wall::wall::wall::wall: It didn't occur to me as this is my first time buying from someone who's just another member and not a vendor with a website.

What would you guys do given that me and the guy never agreed on a live guarantee? I've already accepted the fact that the money was wasted, though for the different reason mentioned earlier. At best, the guy could give me a refund for the cost of the spider. At worst, I guess it would be a lesson learned the hard way.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
If I were you, I'd just let it go. These things happen even to the most experience dealers. Not worth fighting for. If it were a something like a complete mislabeling or horribly bad packing job, it would be different.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If I were you, I'd just let it go. These things happen even to the most experience dealers. Not worth fighting for. If it were a something like a complete mislabeling or horribly bad packing job, it would be different.
+1 If you didn't ask for LAG I would let it go but it never hurts to ask.