T. apophysis

Mez

Arachnoknight
Hi guys.
Picking up a juvenile tomorrow, roughly ten centimeters. Anything special I need to know? I've read a caresheet and I'm pretty sure it's written by Fran from this forum....nice and humid, large shallow water dish...are they similar to blondii in requirements? Was made redundant yesterday so thought I'd treat myself!
I'll post pics when it arrrives, still with it's little pink socks on!
Cheers
James

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey James,

Far from being any Expert, I have quite some experience with the genus :).

As spiderlings/juvies the are really nervous. Any slight disturbance and they will go bannanas running around the enclosure.
They come from the Amazonas from Venezuela, As you said, they need a warm and whigh humidity eniroment (27-28C, 80% and above) a large water dish, a deep and dark burrow and a fair ammount of cage maintenance (because of conditions,of course).

Besides that is a hands off spider, not because they are particulary aggressive but because of their skittish nature. The hairs are really bad, so dont make her mad! :)

Enjoy her!! they get to be gorrrgeous!!

Fran
PS: attached picture of my 9" female :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Mez

Arachnoknight
Nice Fran!
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, mould and fungas was one of my concerns with this species loving such high humidity, but then again good ventilation should help that.
Do you have any shots of juveniles?
Also, i've read these guys make burrows, but horizontal and not verticle ones. How much substrate would you be using
for a roughly 10cm juvenile?
Thanks
James
p.s I come out in a rash at the slightest of irritation, saltwater makes
my entire arm go red, don't plan on getting blasted by these!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got to the office, will post some pics for you later today(tomorrow for you :( )

With a 10cm juvie, 8-10cm substrate will be more than enought for her.
Put her on a smaller container for now, she will feel more "safe".
Something like 20cm by 15cm, or 20 by 20 :)

Mez

Arachnoknight
Here she is, in all her pink footed glory...

with a light on...

It's abdomen looks smallish, is this just because of them
huge legs?

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Look identical to what mine did as a sling. Though I think mine turned out to be a T. stirmi.

Mez

Arachnoknight
Pretty sure stirmi/spinipes/burgandy don't have all pink 'feet', just a few pairs, and apophysis do? This one has all pink feet, just not as strong colouration as the front ones. I'm sure fran will confirm.
Very happy with her, can't wait till (s)he moults!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ hmmm...Well it for sure had all pink feet as a sling.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

see...all pink

This is the one in question I have for sale.

Does anyone know if the male that Reclusa & drachenjager used(the ones i got mine from)

had tibial hooks or not?

Mez

Arachnoknight
I'm obviously new to Theraphosas, but the back set of feet appear to be darker, and those pedipalps don't look as pink as this one.... *shrug*
Fran for sure will enlighten us, it's very nice either way!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ glad you noticed that because I honestly never did.

I honestly hate this genus. its so messed up it makes me want to not even have the dang thing.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The apophysis has actually PINK in all tarsis while Theraphosa spinipes (hate to say stirmi) has only colored tarsi on the first 2 pairs.
Also notice that the color is not really pink but whitish.

Also, the apophysis has a ver marked triangle on the cephalotorax, around the eyes. The colora dn stripes are certainly more marked on apophysis than on spinipes slings ;)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So then what I have is T. spinipes/ stirmi? The genus confusion like this make me not want to even own any. probably why I dont have many Avics and Aphonopelma's.:wall:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I'd say all the photo's in this thread are T. stirmi
Later, Tom

Mez

Arachnoknight
Whaaat? Really?
I have a stirmi too? There seems clear differences in the photos.
Hmm...Fran?!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well if you guys are serious then we are gonna need to learn a bit more about Theraphosa before posting, dont we! ;) ;)

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer