T. apophysis molt issue(?)

Comrade99

Arachnopeon
Hello,

My T. apophysis molted two days ago and all seemed fine but she has some strange patches on her abdomen. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Some observations I have made:

- The hairs on her abdomen specifically on the pink patches are flat. The other areas are sticking up like normal.

- She responds to gentle physical contact.

- Mold is minimal in the terrarium she is in, but that does not rule out the possibility.

Again, thanks ahead for the comments.

Attachments

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think that what you're seeing is normal. When they first molt, their exoskeleton hasn't completely hardened up yet and is still somewhat transparent. For larger tarantulas it can take a few days for it to harden up and look normal, including normal coloration.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Hello,

My T. apophysis molted two days ago and all seemed fine but she has some strange patches on her abdomen. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Some observations I have made:

- The hairs on her abdomen specifically on the pink patches are flat. The other areas are sticking up like normal.

- She responds to gentle physical contact.

- Mold is minimal in the terrarium she is in, but that does not rule out the possibility.

Again, thanks ahead for the comments.
It looks interesting because I have a few of these and I haven’t noticed that kind of pattern in the abdomen of mine. The legs absolutely look the same though. Nevertheless, nothing is alarming. I wouldn’t worry about it, like @spideyspinneret78 said it’s probably just the exoskeleton still being soft

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t see anything concerning but…

Mold is minimal in the terrarium she is in, but that does not rule out the possibility.
…you can absolutely rule out mold. mold is not the cause here regarding setae color or possible changes or really anything other wise. Mold is harmless to tarantulas, so are fruiting body mushrooms. Both can just be picked out, the substrate doesn’t need to be changed. It is a sign your substrate is alive and cycling nutrients.