T. albopilosum Enclosure Feedback

PomPom

Arachnopeon
Hello, before I joined this forum I upgraded my pet curly hair tarantula ( named ocho) to a display box from hobby lobby. The enclosure dimensions:
  • Length: 15 13/16"
  • Width: 7 1/4"
  • Height: 6 1/2"
Subtrate: 2 1/2 inch deep of Lugarti Premium Tarantula Substrate with some sphagnum moss on top for decoration
Water dish: ZooMed Repti Rock extra small

Any changes needing to be done?

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Looks good (depending on size of T). I’d advise not leaving light on all the time if you do.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
fine- light...eh, not so good, a blue light or a red light will work

jurgenph

Arachnopeon
is that a plant grow light?
spectrum look really red... unless it's a camera white balance setting.

J.

PomPom

Arachnopeon
fine- light...eh, not so good, a blue light or a red light will work
Really? I thought plain blue light was considered very bad and I was resisting the temptation to use that color. I'll happily switch it to blue if it's really not stressful as I heard from some tarantula display lighting videos. Ocho doesn't seem to have a reaction to any of the colors of light he/she just starts creating new webbing in the enclosure and stops moving on his/her own term even without the light. (I know that someone already told me that Ocho seemed like a female in the sexing thread but I want more than just one opinion which is why I keep on referring Ocho to him/her).

PomPom

Arachnopeon
is that a plant grow light?
spectrum look really red... unless it's a camera white balance setting.

J.
No that's a small aquarium LED light. It has 3 options, the first option will automatically go to a very bright white. Once you click on the button attached it will go to a very strong color of red, blue, or green and if you don't press the button right away once it's on one of the 3 listed colors at their strongest they are then going to start slowly shifting over to different colors and you can press the button to stop on whatever shade you'd like whether it was just beginning to shift off of one of three 3 colors, in the middle, or just right before it goes to one of the 3 strong colors. I previously thought that plain blue was very bad for Ocho's eyes and the strongest red setting was bothering me so I decided on a sort of dim pink, pressed the button and stopped it approximately in the middle of shifting from red to green.

PomPom

Arachnopeon
By the way Viper69 what shade of blue do you think I should go for? I currently now have the light at a strong purplish blue.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really? I thought plain blue light was considered very bad and I was resisting the temptation to use that color. I'll happily switch it to blue if it's really not stressful as I heard from some tarantula display lighting videos. Ocho doesn't seem to have a reaction to any of the colors of light he/she just starts creating new webbing in the enclosure and stops moving on his/her own term even without the light. (I know that someone already told me that Ocho seemed like a female in the sexing thread but I want more than just one opinion which is why I keep on referring Ocho to him/her).
They can’t see into red, but can see a bit into blue

You don’t want a bright blue light, needs to be like a reptile moonlight bulb

Other T keepers have used blue LEDs that are adjustable. I used to use red, but it’s hard for humans to see into!

You have to remember they are exposed to LIGHT, even at night in the wild ;)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It's simple, just don't use any light at all, so they get normal daylight by day and no light at night. ;) And it doesn't matter where you put the tank as long as it's not in direct sunlight.