T. Albopilosum egg sac... phantom?

BrittanyS

Arachnopeon
So, I have a T. Albopilosum that I purchased from a local pet store back in November. She was labeled in my spider room as a suspect female due to the white hairs along the furrow. She measured 4 3/8” on January 10th. She ate every time I fed her with her last meal being on January 23. She refused food after that. She was very plump, so I assumed she was in premolt. Yesterday and the day before, she kept webbing a little here and there and I assumed she was trying to find a comfy spot to make a molt mat to molt on. She finally apparently got the bright idea to flip the water dish (a 2 oz. condiment cup) over and use the spot in the corner where the cup had been stuck into the substrate and started webbing there. By midday today, I realized she wasn’t making a molt mat. She had surrounded herself in a thick web bubble. I’ve been researching breeding/mating and I had actually planned on breeding her with my mature male after the molting, waiting several weeks, and she had ate a bit. I thought today was the day that she would molt and I could start doing the in depth research on breeding her, but she made an egg sac instead. So my question is this: With me getting her November 2, 2019 and her making this sac today, March 10, 2020, is there a chance that this egg sac could result in babies? Or is it more than likely a phantom sac?

cold blood

Staff member
Depends on if she was paired prior to you getting her....no way to be sure....i would treat it as good for now.

BrittanyS

Arachnopeon
Ok, thanks. I just wasn't sure if it had been too long to actually make a viable sac since I purchased her over 4 months ago and I have no idea where the pet store got her from. She had just came to the store that day in shipping. I know they purchased from a company, but I don't know how long that company had her or where they got her from.

cold blood

Staff member
Ok, thanks. I just wasn't sure if it had been too long to actually make a viable sac since I purchased her over 4 months ago and I have no idea where the pet store got her from. She had just came to the store that day in shipping. I know they purchased from a company, but I don't know how long that company had her or where they got her from.
It can be a year or more after pairing sometimes before ts drop sacs....4 months is nothing....as long as the t doesn't molt.

BrittanyS

Arachnopeon
Wow I didn’t realize they could wait that long to make one. She hasn’t molted since I’ve had her, which is why I expected her to when she refused food. I’m hopeful that the sac is good, but I needed the experience of pairing them lol

Poonjab

Arachnoking
So, I have a T. Albopilosum that I purchased from a local pet store back in November. She was labeled in my spider room as a suspect female due to the white hairs along the furrow. She measured 4 3/8” on January 10th. She ate every time I fed her with her last meal being on January 23. She refused food after that. She was very plump, so I assumed she was in premolt. Yesterday and the day before, she kept webbing a little here and there and I assumed she was trying to find a comfy spot to make a molt mat to molt on. She finally apparently got the bright idea to flip the water dish (a 2 oz. condiment cup) over and use the spot in the corner where the cup had been stuck into the substrate and started webbing there. By midday today, I realized she wasn’t making a molt mat. She had surrounded herself in a thick web bubble. I’ve been researching breeding/mating and I had actually planned on breeding her with my mature male after the molting, waiting several weeks, and she had ate a bit. I thought today was the day that she would molt and I could start doing the in depth research on breeding her, but she made an egg sac instead. So my question is this: With me getting her November 2, 2019 and her making this sac today, March 10, 2020, is there a chance that this egg sac could result in babies? Or is it more than likely a phantom sac?
mine is literally doing the exact same thing right now. She’s laying eggs as we speak. She was a pet shop rescue. Now I have a feeling she was wild caught. I’ve never had a T drop an egg sac, so now I’m trying to figure out what to do.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it was wildcaught then it may likely be a good eggsack. If it was not, the eggsack is probably bad? It is not likely that the petshop breed it and then sell it?

omni

Arachnobaron
pet shops often get stock from suppliers who deal in WC's because they are cheaper, but stranger things have happened with pet store T's...
assume it's good until it proves otherwise! fingers crossed for a good sac!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Most T. albopilosus adults that turn up in pet shops are wild caught, so it is very likely a good sac.

BrittanyS

Arachnopeon
If it was wildcaught then it may likely be a good eggsack. If it was not, the eggsack is probably bad? It is not likely that the petshop breed it and then sell it?
There's a good chance it was wild caught, I'm not exactly sure where he gets his tarantulas, but they come shipped in 16oz deli containers with the T on top of substrate. I have since stopped purchasing from this place, as I quickly learned better. That pet shop gets a good amount of Ts in, but he (the owner) keeps them in the containers they come in and sells them like that. He wouldn't even try to breed them, it's too much trouble for him lol

Most T. albopilosus adults that turn up in pet shops are wild caught, so it is very likely a good sac.
I am definitely going to treat it like it is and prepare. Now I'm excited!

pet shops often get stock from suppliers who deal in WC's because they are cheaper, but stranger things have happened with pet store T's...
assume it's good until it proves otherwise! fingers crossed for a good sac!
I'm hoping so!

cold blood

Staff member
There's a good chance it was wild caught, I'm not exactly sure where he gets his tarantulas, but they come shipped in 16oz deli containers with the T on top of substrate
Ugh....thats not how ts should be shipped:(

There is only one seller that i know of that uses such miserable shipping practices, and not coincidentally, theyre the single most unreliable and poor purveyor of ts in the country, possibly the world.:(

Luckily this one survived.

BrittanyS

Arachnopeon

There is only one seller that i know of that uses such miserable shipping practices, and not coincidentally, theyre the single most unreliable and poor purveyor of ts in the country, possibly the world.:(

Yeah, I bought her a few weeks after I got my first T and all the Ts I’d seen him have were in the same containers. I got a few from him within a few weeks of each other and then I found Arachnoboards. I had wondered how they survived being shipped like that, but I wasn’t entirely sure at that time the proper way to ship them, so I didn’t think a whole lot of it. Found out from reading this site the right way to ship them and it made so much more sense. I just stopped at his shop and asked him where he got her from and he said “one of his wholesalers”. I asked which one and he wouldn’t tell me. He said that chances are, it was wild caught 🙄. I figured as much, but he was so careless about it that it irritated me to no end. But hey, maybe the sac will be good! Maybe I can pick up a different breeding pair at the conference this weekend lol

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Why? Are they still shipping this way? Normally people learn, i mean especially in this day and age when they easily can google how to ship. I mean, if you have a company you atleast wanna have profit and want to have as many custumors as possible abd good reviews?

BrittanyS

Arachnopeon
Why? Are they still shipping this way? Normally people learn, i mean especially in this day and age when they easily can google how to ship. I mean, if you have a company you atleast wanna have profit and want to have as many custumors as possible abd good reviews?
Well the guy that owns that pet store still receives the Ts he orders this way, so I no longer buy from him. I think he likes it because he is too lazy to put them in anything else if they were shipped properly. So they obviously still have customers because there will always be lazy shop owners ☹ He is the only one in my area who sells tarantulas, so I am going to start selling them in my area. He sells out of them pretty quick, too, so I know people are buying them around here. Either that or they are dying, which I’ve been in his shop twice and had to point out a dead tarantula because he paid no attention to them. Sad. One of the ones I had to point out was a Theraphosa Stirmi. Six inch spider in a 16oz deli cup with substrate. Sigh.

cold blood

Staff member
Why change when business is good....theyre at the top of every google search and on top of that, pet stores are always buying from them....they literally have no motivation to improve.

I just stopped at his shop and asked him where he got her from and he said “one of his wholesalers”. I asked which one and he wouldn’t tell me. H
message me, i will tell you.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's a shame. They are dealing with live animals. I think it is their responsibility to change. Can you imagine if a kennel that breed and sold dogs was treating the dogs in a similair fashion! What an outrage it would be?

cold blood

Staff member
He is the only one in my area who sells tarantulas, so I am going to start selling them in my area. He sells out of them pretty quick, too, so I know
For ts, theres literally no reason to buy locally unless you happen to find a local breeder (which is great if you find one). All the most experienced keepers get most of them shipped directly...prices are better, and selection is, too.

Next time have a look at our classified section....lots of great, reliable sellers and breeders...and every seller here is required to have a corresponding review page (that they cant manipulate like the ones on their websites), so you can not only shop with confidence, but make great connections within the hobby at the same time....and save money very often.

Jenissuper

Arachnopeon
mine is literally doing the exact same thing right now. She’s laying eggs as we speak. She was a pet shop rescue. Now I have a feeling she was wild caught. I’ve never had a T drop an egg sac, so now I’m trying to figure out what to do.
Mine is the exact same. I have no idea what to do if it’s a viable sack. She’s very protective. What does one do with 1k babies?!

omni

Arachnobaron
1k babies?! hehe not that many. highly variable, you could have a dozen survivors up to 3-400 depending on the species. there are dealers that'll buy slings in bulk. some advertise here. but yes it's very involved if you get a good sac. I'd pull it at 14-21 days and try to incubate, see if anything will hatch!
IF you get babies, you'll get tons of help don't worry!

BrittanyS

Arachnopeon
For ts, theres literally no reason to buy locally unless you happen to find a local breeder (which is great if you find one). All the most experienced keepers get most of them shipped directly...prices are better, and selection is, too.

Next time have a look at our classified section....lots of great, reliable sellers and breeders...and every seller here is required to have a corresponding review page (that they cant manipulate like the ones on their websites), so you can not only shop with confidence, but make great connections within the hobby at the same time....and save money very often.
I’ve actually been buying from people on here already :) After I realized what a moron the guy at the LPS was, I have bought from Fear Not, Jamies, and a few different sellers on AB. My passion has turned obsession and now I’m looking to “breed” full time and make a business of it!