T’s Enclosure

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
That’s mold, usually a sign of poor ventilation... pics of your whole enclosure would be welcome.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Yeah, that's definitely mold. Maybe find a way to increase ventilation by adding extra holes. It's also probably a sign that you're overdoing it with moistening substrate/ misting. If you're new to the hobby it's a very common mistake (I had the same issue when I first started out). Thankfully, the mold itself is harmless, just unsightly. Just scoop it out and replace it with fresh substrate, then take it easy on adding moisture for a little while.

Ashmo

Arachnopeon
Add holes if possible to the sides to have cross ventilation. I put holes normally at the top, a few in the middle and some toward the bottom around the height of the substrate. I use a soldering iron to make holes in plastic enclosures. Just make sure the holes are not larger than the tarantulas carapace or you risk an escape. Most Ts do not require high humidity so make sure you research before. The majority of my Ts I provide a water dish that I keep full and will slightly overfill it once a week or every other week. I also got the water bottles in the photo. It allows me to have better control of the water and if the enclosure becomes to dry, you can place the tip in a corner and squirt some water to the bottom of the substrate for slower evaporation or just to one side so the T can choose its preference.

Attachments

Fuzzhead

Arachnopeon
I’ve found that once the mold is there it’s usually hard to get rid of. Even if the enclosure dries out completely, once you add any water there is a good chance it will come back because spores are ver hardy. If you dry it out and it is still coming back, it might be better to exchange the substrate and clean the enclosure.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Use top soil and add some springtails, problem solved, they will devourish any present mold.

Last edited: