Systematic revision of Brachypelma red-kneed tarantulas

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
This article hasn't been officially published yet, but I'm creating this thread as a placeholder for when it is.

Mendoza, Jorge, and Oscar Francke. "Systematic revision of Brachypelma red-kneed tarantulas (Araneae: Theraphosidae), and the use of DNA barcodes to assist in the identification and conservation of CITES-listed species." Invertebrate Systematics (2016).

Abstract

Mexican red-kneed tarantulas of the genus Brachypelma are regarded as some of the most desirable invertebrate pets, and although bred in captivity, they continue to be smuggled out of the wild in large numbers. Species are often difficult to identify based solely on morphology, therefore prompt and accurate identification is required for adequate protection. Thus, we explored the applicability of using COI-based DNA barcoding as a complementary identification tool. Brachypelma smithi and Brachypelma hamorii are redescribed, and their morphological differences defined. Brachypelma annitha is proposed as a new synonym of B. smithi. The current distribution of red-kneed tarantulas shows that the Balsas River basin may act as a geographic barrier. Morphological and molecular evidence were concordant and together provide robust hypotheses for delimiting Mexican red-kneed tarantula species. DNA barcoding of these tarantulas is further shown to be useful for species-level identification and for potentially preventing black market trade in these spiders. Since a CITES listing does not protect habitat, control wildlife management or human interactions with organisms, it is indeed important to support environmental conservation activities which provide an alternative income for local communities and to avoid damage to wildlife populations.

http://www.publish.csiro.au/IS/justaccepted/IS16023

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great find Apho!! I cannot wait to read this!

Annitha and smithi proposed to be the same species....

Last edited:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Thanks, will be watching this thread with anticipation. I'm always the sponge for new data concerning tarantulas.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Great find Apho!! I cannot wait to read this!

Annitha and smithi proposed to be the same species....
I am surprised Jorge did not comment on this? From my understanding that is inaccurate that smithi and annitha "are proposed to be the same specie", but smithi is smithi an annitha is moving to a new species?

I am sure Berrios will chime in shortly lol....

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From my understanding the name annitha is going to be moved to smithi. The species that has been called annitha will be giving a different species name. I'm not 100% certain of it and I could be wrong and sorry if I missed understood. I'm sure Jorge M. is excited to make the new revision public can't wait to see it.

Last edited:

Jorge M

Arachnopeon
Because paper is not officially published I prefer wait to explain anything else. The paper is well illustrated and explained, also well supported by morphology and molecular data, including a phylogenetic analysis. So be patient.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Because paper is not officially published I prefer wait to explain anything else. The paper is well illustrated and explained, also well supported by morphology and molecular data, including a phylogenetic analysis. So be patient.
That's what I figure it's best to wait until its made publicly.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Well now that it's officially published and I've read the document, I'm no less confused than before. How does changing the species names help identify them? That's like if I had twins named Larry and Jackson, and I could never tell them apart, so I changed their names to Matthew and Larry, respectively. Then I'm like "yay! Now I'll never confuse the two of you!" :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Well revisions happen.. :D it's for greater good I guess.. It's good that everything is more specified. At least they didn't jumble up the genus like they did with Avicularia :D
Well for genus switches it actually DOES help with taxonomy. This is just a species name change, what benefit could this possibly have I don't get it...

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Well for genus switches it actually DOES help with taxonomy. This is just a species name change, what benefit could this possibly have I don't get it...
Isn't it something about making it less interesting for black market trade?