Systematic revision of Brachypelma, new genus described.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'll link to it below. In short, the genus has been split in two with the "red-legged" species and albiceps staying in Brachypelma and the "red rumped" species being moved to the newly created genus, Tliltocatl.

Brachypelma now consists of B. albiceps, B. auratum, B. baumgarteni, B. boehmei, B. emilia, B. hamorii, B. klaasi and B. smithi.

Tliltocatl consists of T. albopilosum, T. epicureanum, T. kahlenbergi, T. sabulosum, T. schroederi, T. vagans, and T. verdezi.

Brachypelma fossorium
is transferred to Stichoplastoris but, according to Mendoza, the Longhorn & Gabriel paper overrides this so it is still a junior synonym of Sandinista lanceolatum.

B. alvarezi, B. andrewi and B. aureoceps would have been transferred to the new genus but should be considered nomina dubia.

https://academic.oup.com/zoolinnean/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/zoolinnean/zlz046/5611858

Last edited:

Minty

@londontarantulas
Cheers. Will need to get used to the new genus name quickly.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
How is that new genus even pronounced? It sounds so wrong, no matter how I try to say it.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
FINALLY!!! This new genus is really hard to say out loud. Lol.

I guess, with B. fossorium being transferred to Stichoplastoris, it will invalidated the synonym with S. lanceolatum, or am I tripping?

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I now have all Brachypelma species.
This reclassification is no suprise but I was hoping for a better name for the new genus.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Revisions are the best way to learn a new language. :troll:

Not surprised too much, but it makes sense to put them in the Tliltocatl genus. At least it makes it much easier to complete the Brachypelma genus now and same for the new Tliltocatl genus.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Reminder: this revision wont magically turn hobby "red rumpers" individual into pure bloodline. Lol. The mess in the hobby still goes on, unfortunately.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Gosh! Now I have only 2 Brachys, but 3 Tliltocatls (how weird :rolleyes:).

I'm sure someone already explained this to me, but please again, why is B. albiceps with the red-legged fraction?

Last edited:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Gosh! Now I have only 2 Brachys, but 3 Tlitocatls (how weird :rolleyes:).

I'm sure someone already explained this to me, but please again, why is B. albiceps with the red-legged fraction?
Good question!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Revisions are the best way to learn a new language.
I feel like I'm going to mispronounce it and inadvertently summon some ancient Mayan demon or something :vamp::dead:

I'm guessing it's more to do with the shape of their genitalia than colouration

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Gosh! Now I have only 2 Brachys, but 3 Tlitocatls (how weird :rolleyes:).

I believe both taxonomy and molecular put them in Brachypelma genus rather than Tliltocatl. I didnt read the article yet, though. So, I might be wrong.

Feral

Arachnobaron
So... how many Tliltocatls does everyone have? XD

Also, this is a good pronunciation guide for us: http://www.native-languages.org/nahuatl_guide.htm
Thank you! Fantastic!

That first "tl" is throwing me, though, because it seems like the "tl" letter combination is pronounced very differently in the Nahuatl language (like a breathy "l"?) than it is in other North American indigenous languages (it's difficult, like a breathy "tl", almost ""cl" sound).
Which I think means I'm doomed to pronounce double wrong, some crazy how. lol

I feel like I should start practicing it or something. lol

Last edited: