Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Systematic revision of Brachypelma, new genus described.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by The Grym Reaper, Nov 5, 2019.

1. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    I'll link to it below. In short, the genus has been split in two with the "red-legged" species and albiceps staying in Brachypelma and the "red rumped" species being moved to the newly created genus, Tliltocatl.

Brachypelma now consists of B. albiceps, B. auratum, B. baumgarteni, B. boehmei, B. emilia, B. hamorii, B. klaasi and B. smithi.

Tliltocatl consists of T. albopilosum, T. epicureanum, T. kahlenbergi, T. sabulosum, T. schroederi, T. vagans, and T. verdezi.

Brachypelma fossorium
    is transferred to Stichoplastoris but, according to Mendoza, the Longhorn & Gabriel paper overrides this so it is still a junior synonym of Sandinista lanceolatum.

B. alvarezi, B. andrewi and B. aureoceps would have been transferred to the new genus but should be considered nomina dubia.

https://academic.oup.com/zoolinnean/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/zoolinnean/zlz046/5611858

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Informative x 23
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Beer x 1
  2. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas

Cheers. Will need to get used to the new genus name quickly.

3. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnoknight Active Member

Now all I need is B albiceps and I have all the brachy's!

• Like Like x 2
  4. The Grym Reaper

I only need baumgarteni :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hoxter

Hoxter Arachnoknight Active Member

How is that new genus even pronounced? It sounds so wrong, no matter how I try to say it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Arachnid Addicted

Arachnid Addicted Arachnoknight Active Member

FINALLY!!! This new genus is really hard to say out loud. Lol.

I guess, with B. fossorium being transferred to Stichoplastoris, it will invalidated the synonym with S. lanceolatum, or am I tripping?

7. Brachyfan

I lucked out with my baum. Payed 4 times as much as my T albopilosum (this is weird lol) and about half of what I payed for my hamorii. Couldn't pass up that deal!

8. lazarus

lazarus Arachnosquire

I now have all Brachypelma species.
    This reclassification is no suprise but I was hoping for a better name for the new genus.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  9. The Grym Reaper

Yeah, I'm not even going to attempt to pronounce it, I'm just referring to them by the genus initial and species name from now on :hilarious:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 8
  10. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

Revisions are the best way to learn a new language. :troll:

Not surprised too much, but it makes sense to put them in the Tliltocatl genus. At least it makes it much easier to complete the Brachypelma genus now and same for the new Tliltocatl genus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Arachnid Addicted

Reminder: this revision wont magically turn hobby "red rumpers" individual into pure bloodline. Lol. The mess in the hobby still goes on, unfortunately.

12. The Grym Reaper

Yeah, that is a bit of a weird one, I'll be interested to see if this overrides it.

13. Arachnid Addicted

As soon as I got home from work, I'll read the article. I can't read it right now but maybe, there'd be something about this synonym there.

14. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Gosh! Now I have only 2 Brachys, but 3 Tliltocatls (how weird :rolleyes:).

I'm sure someone already explained this to me, but please again, why is B. albiceps with the red-legged fraction?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brachyfan

Good question!

16. The Grym Reaper

I feel like I'm going to mispronounce it and inadvertently summon some ancient Mayan demon or something :vamp::dead:

I'm guessing it's more to do with the shape of their genitalia than colouration

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 13
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Arachnid Addicted

I believe both taxonomy and molecular put them in Brachypelma genus rather than Tliltocatl. I didnt read the article yet, though. So, I might be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. CommanderBacon

CommanderBacon Arachnoknight Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Arachnid Addicted

T. schroederi is the only one I don't have, yet. Same goes to B. baumgarteni.

20. Feral

Feral Arachnoknight Active Member

Thank you! Fantastic!

That first "tl" is throwing me, though, because it seems like the "tl" letter combination is pronounced very differently in the Nahuatl language (like a breathy "l"?) than it is in other North American indigenous languages (it's difficult, like a breathy "tl", almost ""cl" sound).
    Which I think means I'm doomed to pronounce double wrong, some crazy how. lol

I feel like I should start practicing it or something. lol

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.