Syder Id Please !

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A friend of mine caught this spyder . Its like a light cream white color and the top of its abodomon is like a yellowish color . If i had to descrobe the color I would say it looks like that plastic stuff that glows in the dark . its body is 1/4 inch and its leg span i guess to be a inch maybe . If it was brown and had the fiddle mark it would look like a recluse , Its also from maryland . ..
Anyone know what it might be ?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any way for you to snap a pix of it and post it? and what kind of web does it make if any?

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No camera right now :( It has not yet made a web . It looks very mean , If you get near it , it rears up on its hide legs ! Like I said its kinda the plastic glow in the dark color ! And its abodomon has like a briter yellowish green color , Only slightly thou , I have never seen one here in maryland or on the net as of yet . I put two crikets in there with it and it does not seem to bother them . What I thought was fangs seems to be little legs in the front . It uses them to climb . And it also looks like it is missing a bigger leg on its one side .

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I did a google serch on spiders and the only one I seen thats looks like it is called a {{{ YELLOW SAC SPIDER }}} . Seems they are a little toxic as well .
I wonder if this is indeed what it is ? Anyone know if these are in the State of Maryland ?
http://hobospider.org/yellosac.jpg

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just noticed in that pic the spider seems to be missing a big leg on it :? :?
Whats the chances of that ??? Or do they all look that way ???

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that's just the angle the leg is at relative to the position of the camera. It looks like the rest of the leg is below the femur.

You might also want to look up crab spiders, Family Thomisidae. Some of these are colored as you describe, especially the genus Misumena, which are common here in VA and I would assume MD as well.

Wade

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wade said:
You might also want to look up crab spiders, Family Thomisidae. Some of these are colored as you describe, especially the genus Misumena, which are common here in VA and I would assume MD as well.
That's what I was thinking as well. Here's a picture of Misumena vatia I took recently:

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmmm its hard to say they both look like what I have .. Heres something else I noticed , On its abdomom is like a light green patch , if it moves a certain way it looks like it lifts off the spiders abdomon . Its eatting a criket now :)
There still is no sign of any webs .... Plus in the picture above ,,, that spider is much more fatter then the one i have ! So you think I have a crab spider or the yellow sac spider ?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
kenniey said:
Hmmm its hard to say they both look like what I have .. Heres something else I noticed , On its abdomom is like a light green patch , if it moves a certain way it looks like it lifts off the spiders abdomon . Its eatting a criket now :)
There still is no sign of any webs .... Plus in the picture above ,,, that spider is much more fatter then the one i have ! So you think I have a crab spider or the yellow sac spider ?
I was just guessing. There's no way of knowing what familiy it is without a picture, and not much possibility of identifying it to species without putting it under a microscope. You mentioned it had lost some front legs. I've noticed this a lot in crab spiders, especially Misumena so I thought I'd put up a picture, just in case. :)

Fattness in spiders is not a reliable guide for identification. Spider abdomens can expand or balloon quite a bit after a big meal, in a short time. One day a spider will appear thin, but that same spider could appear quite fat a day or two later if it's had a good meal, or a succession of meals.