switching sides

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
would it be a good idea to move the T from where she set up shop to the side of the tank where the heat pad is?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why do you have a heat pad on the tank when you live in Arizona and it's the middle of the summer?

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
Why do you have a heat pad on the tank when you live in Arizona and it's the middle of the summer?
This.Givwn where you live, there should really be no need for a heat pad...and trust the Tarantula's judgement as t where it is comfortable. That heat pad might be the reason its on the side of the cage that ISN'T heated...

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yea, im sorry for being an idiot

xhexdx, it gets pretty cold at night over here..i know it gets hot during the day..i just remember reading somewhere to put a heat pad on one side of the tank..the rose hair doesnt mind it. she stays on the side where the heat pad is

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
How cold?

I've kept mine without any heating through a Canadian winter, and I've had no problems. The temps never went below 60 though, so anything below that and I wouldn't be able to tell you.

To answer your question, I'd just let the spider go where it wants. No need to move it to the heated side if it doesn't want to.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my temperatures went down to 40 in the winter sometimes... rosea handles it well.

ops
i forgot to add the power went out sometimes in the winter. so it might have gotten colder then 40.
brr

My neibores bird died last year cause of the 2 day power outage, and my rosea outlived them....

Last edited:

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Agreed, I live in Ontario, Canada. I don't turn on the heat in my bedroom, where the spiders are (it gets the radiant heat from a wood stove downstairs though) and it gets cool in there (no lower then 60.) I don't use any heatpads, and haven't had an issue with any of mine.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think Joe has a good point on this one . The spider doesn't need 2 different sources of heat . 1 is enough :D

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I heard low temperatures are really bad for spiders and that there come some really bad conciquences? How would B. smithi or A. versicolor handle less than 20°C (68°F)?

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i actually had to remove her molt from the web fortress, which didnt make her too happy

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I heard low temperatures are really bad for spiders and that there come some really bad conciquences? How would B. smithi or A. versicolor handle less than 20°C (68°F)?
Can't say for A. versicolor however my B. smithi did quite well through the winter where we turn the heat off at night and it always drops below 68 - not to mention when everybody is at work for the day. Granted, it wasn't molting constantly but it was still eating and I haven't noticed anything wrong with it.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my temperatures went down to 40 in the winter sometimes... rosea handles it well.

ops
i forgot to add the power went out sometimes in the winter. so it might have gotten colder then 40.
brr

My neibores bird died last year cause of the 2 day power outage, and my rosea outlived them....
wow awsome, that's what i like about rose hairs :)

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well problem is becouse at my home winters are very cold, outside can reach -20°C (-13°F) and in my spider room reached few times 12°C (53°F). Thankfully I had turned on central heating in the house, and I use heating cable on my terarriums but I am a bit worried becouse of that.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The OP is right that heat pads should be placed on the side of the tank but not so much about whether the G. rosea really needs it. They are especially cold tolerant as tarantulas go and don't really need extra heat unless it's dipping down below 50's on a regular basis. Some would say that they can even survive down to and below 32deg F but I don't want to test that with mine.

Ditch the heat mat and let the T set up shop wherever it wants. If it needed the heat it would hang out next to the heat all the time.